talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 04:09 PM

Default T15+3 review

Full review with photos, videos, etc, at Review of the Festool T15+3 Li-Ion Drill

Quick synopsis: Held it, no big deal. Talked into buying it. Planned to return it. Actually used it. Fell in love with it. Quiet. Cool motor and clutch. Unbelievable battery. Chucks are awesome. Glad I bought it.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:21 PM

Default Re: T15+3 review

Hi,

Great review! I really like the comparison of the features and functions to other drills. It is a good way to grasp what makes the Festool drills different and special.

Seth
Old 08-31-2010, 02:16 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

WoodNerd, Great review! I also notice on your blog that ClearVue is back in business, I guess operating by a new owner. There are a couple of fans on this forum.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I couldn't believe the difference in battery weight when I used one in Lebanon. All the power+ (less weight) = less fatigue.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:10 PM

Sadly my tool budget is bottomed out. As I was installing cabinets yesterday with my c 12 and makitas (lithion ), It was amazing how heavy my c12 feels. My poor old shoulders would love a T15...
Tom
Old 08-31-2010, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodNerd View Post

Actually used it. Fell in love with it. Quiet. Cool motor and clutch. Unbelievable battery. Chucks are awesome. Glad I bought it.
Ditto all that!

I feel that way every time I pick it up. It's probably the best drill I've ever owned.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:54 PM

+1 on everything posted. The 15 +3 LOOKS a bit clunky, like it WOULD be bottom heavy from the size of the battery. Then, when you actually pick one up, it's very well balanced, very light, and you realize how deceiving appearances can be.
Add the chucks included with the price, the systainer, and maybe some Centrotec bits and you're done. I have only one quibble, and I can't believe Festool doesn't offer this. No Square Drive bits for Square Drive screws/fasteners?. Did I overlook this, am I imagining this? :smad: I saw Phillips, Pozi-Drive, the new imperial sized Brad Drill Bit set, but no square drive driver bits . Certainly not a deal breaker, you just use your normal driver bits in either the regular chuck or the magnetic, smaller bit chuck. But, I didn't think, and neither did my dealer, that Festool offers any square drive in the Centrotec bit selection.
Can someone shed some light on this?
Old 09-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

No, Festool has yet to offer square drive bits. We've asked time and time again, but still no square drive bits.

Some have modified their square drive bits by turning or grinding an additional groove onto an aftermarket bit. Here's a link to one of the homemade Centrotec Square Drive Bits.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:00 AM

I bought mine on Saturday, and have already used it twice for weird drilling applications via the 90 degree chuck and the Centrotec bits. First task was drilling into my basement wall for 3/8" anchor studs that hold a 2 x 8 against a wall for a fully loaded clamp rack which holds my Bessey and Jorgensen sliding bar clamps. I needed to work around my large 80 gallon air compressor but didn't want to move it to make enough for my Hammerdrill for drilling into the brick. So I simply swapped out the 90 degree chuck to slip in front of the compressor with my new Festool drill. The brick was soft enough that the masonary bit didn't need the hammer action of a regular hammerdrill. Dodged the bullet on that one.
Second task, the next day I needed to fix the old small upright piano that my wife was giving to a niece before we attempted to move it down 2 flights of stairs. A major joint had loosened up, and I didn't think just regluing it was going to hold while it was being shoved and carried down those 2 stories of stairs. So I needed to slip around the guts of the piano, working around the arms and strings to added some screws to the joint. Tight quarters, but again the Festool drill didn't disappoint, eps. with being able to shorten the drill by popping the regular chuck off and slipping the Centrotec bit chuck on. All in all, it's been a great introduction to a drill I've been looking at for awhile.
Other than the surprise of no square drive bits being available from Festool, I have zero complaints
Nov. 2010 updates: Still in love with this drill. I'm amazed at battery life over my previous 1 yr old Milwaukee 18 volt Li-Io that the 15+3 replaced. Charged batteries stay charged, even unused in the systainer box, waiting to be used. Very long life WHILE being used. I find it's hard to predict when the battery will get low since I'm still getting used to the tool. Power is super strong, and since I've not used this type of brushless motor before for a cordless tool, it too needs more time in my hands to get used to "dialing" it in for the task at hand. I DO find myself popping the reverse/forward switch accidentally more than my other drills. So I have to watch for that. Could still be my technique, or the lack of, that's causing that to happen. Haven't made any of the homemade custom Centrotec driver bits like others have, but bought a couple of Dewalt bits to play around with when I get the time to grind on them.

Last edited by Leakyroof; 11-09-2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: add-on info