talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 03:24 AM

Default Re: RAS 115 short review and comments

Thanks Darrin. Been travelling so could not reply sooner. These are barns and other outbuildings which are generally severely weathered, at least in places. Have not had time to take pics.

Seems to look a little like Frank Pellow's repainting project at his cabin, but on a bigger scale.

I am thinking the Rotex with coarse paper ought to do the job, but wondering if there would be an advantage to the RAS.

Yes, Colorado is beautiful. Lived here for almost 15 years and wouldn't trade it. Why don't you head out here sometime and let me know you're coming-- we could try to get together in between your family visits.

Dave
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-13-2008, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaccord View Post
Thanks Darrin. Been travelling so could not reply sooner. These are barns and other outbuildings which are generally severely weathered, at least in places. Have not had time to take pics.

Seems to look a little like Frank Pellow's repainting project at his cabin, but on a bigger scale.

I am thinking the Rotex with coarse paper ought to do the job, but wondering if there would be an advantage to the RAS.

Yes, Colorado is beautiful. Lived here for almost 15 years and wouldn't trade it. Why don't you head out here sometime and let me know you're coming-- we could try to get together in between your family visits.

Dave

Hey Dave,

A few thoughts here that may turn into many thoughts.

I have not doubt that the Rotex would do the job and do it well. From you're description I think the size of the RO 150 will be a big advantage much of the time as well. I'm a big fan of Saphir and really like to P24 when taking off mutiple coats. Another advantage is that Cristal paper is available for the Rotex but not the RAS. I not as familiar with Cristal but with its open coat I think it's less prone to load up.

The RAS to me is a totally different beast than the Rotex. It builds up heat on the pad much quicker than on the Rotex so you really have to move it along. This would be especially important with gummy finishes. With finishes that tend to gum up there are times when I prefer the Rotex. That's why I wish the Cristal with its open coat was available for the RAS. I'd like to see how it performs on it. I've been meaning to cut down some Rotex Cristal to 4" just as a little experiment.

In my experience I think that the ultimate stripping set up would have 3 tools. The RAS, the Rotex and the Deltex. I do not have the Deltex but plan on getting one. On my most god awful stripping projects the RAS/Rotex combo worked the best. Either could have done it on their own but using the RAS for the initial heavy duty pass followed up with the Rotex did the job better.

I don't want to talk you out of the RAS as I think you'd like it, maybe even love it, but if you have something else green you've been eyeballing you could spend the money on that. And if you do get the RAS and don't like there's always the 30 day return policy.

I will absolutely let you know if I head out to CO to see if we could cross paths. I know my wife has been itching for a small get away.

Darrin
Old 08-14-2008, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaccord View Post
Darrin (and others who know the RAS),

I have a Rotex 150 and several buildings to sand out and repaint. Do I need the RAS, or will the Rotex do the job?

Thanks

Dave
Justacord

have a look at this thread it might answer some questions.

The Big One That Got Away - Take 2

On another note i had a chance to test the ras doing some scribing and so far i like it. Alot smoother than using a grinder and the dust extraction is better than i expected. Stock removal with the 36 grit rubin is pretty quick.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-08-2009, 05:44 AM

I thought I'd bring this thread back to life for a bit and add some additional thoughts.

In my kitchen I've removed two layers of underlayment and sheet vinyl to get to the original fir. Those two layers date back probably 10 years and 20 years give or take. Not fun and not pretty. I was left with some nasty adhesive of unknown origin firmly bonded to original.

It's certainly going to have a rustic country charm to it but I'm going to refinish about a 3' x 10' section of the original wood but first need to get the adhesive off. There's a couple to pics below to show what I'm talking about.

Time to break out the RAS 115 and the Saphir 24. I quickly found that this "stuff" will gum up on the abrasive very quickly with just the weight of the tool and no ZERO downward pressure on it at all.

However, after a little trail and error, 2 techniques worked rather nicely and made this job go quite well.

I found that getting my hand under the RAS (the non spinning part ) and and lifting up slightly so I was just barely touching the floor surface with the pad worked as fast if not faster than running it how I started out. This also kept the abrasive from clogging up with melted goop.

On the tougher spots that just seemed permanently adhered I found that lightly bouncing the RAS over the area worked great and got the removal started. I then went back to the first technique and finished it off.

It's done and I'm !
Attached Thumbnails
ras-115-short-review-comments-kitchen-floor-1.jpg   ras-115-short-review-comments-kitchen-floor-2.jpg  
Old 02-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

That's looking good, Darrin. When I was a kid we were doing something similar in one of our rooms in our 1850's house: someone had glued linoleum flooring to the 12" quarter-sawn pine floorboards. My parents paid me to spend several days on my hands and knees with a bucket of warm water and a putty knife to scrape it all off. Took me a while, but it worked well. Maybe when Isaiah's older?

How's the basement coming along? We haven't seen anything on that for a while.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Like Peter said, some of those old adhesives are actually hot water soluble. Sometimes you need to chill the adhesive down with dry ice first to be productive with a grinder.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:55 AM

I did try the hot water and scrape method for a while but that just depressed me. One of my dogs did see it as a tasty treat to lick off the floor though. I step away for a minute and my GR is happily licking away at the softened mess.:stongue:

In the end my RAS was just the ticket once I got the best technique down.

Tags
festool sanders, ras 115, rotary sander