talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 04:08 AM

Default Re: ETS 125

I like the ETS125 so much, I just bought another one I never before used a sander that gave me such a nice finish without having to hand sand!

Anyhow, there is a downside to this sander.... I had to sand solid pine panels that were to wide to send through the planer the other day and therefore had to sand that stuff starting with 80grid,120,150,180 and finally 220. I almost fell asleep, it took hours to get that stuff smooth.

Thank goodness I don't have to do this too often, otherwise I would have to get myself a Rotex
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-21-2009, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRSemenza View Post
Hi,

Hmm, thats interesting about the ETS125. I don't have the 125 but I do have the ETS150/5. It replaced a PC 6" palm grip ROS (I forget the M#). The ETS150 is much better than the PC was.

I don't know how the 125 compares with the 150s. Anybody have both?

Too bad that didn't work out for you. I wonder if it was a lemon unit? At least it was no trouble to send it back with the 30 day deal and all.

Seth
A friend of mine just bought the ETS125 and says its much smother than the new Porter cable random-orbit sander.

I haven't tried it so I don't know first hand.

Fred
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-21-2009, 04:26 AM

Fred,
I bought the ETS-150 because of reports that it is smoother than the ETS-125. I've never tried the ETS-125. I will tell you I can sand for hours with the 150 before the vibrations bother me. Other sanders only took about an hour.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:34 AM

Wow, I didn't know the ETS150 has even less vibrations then it's smaller brother! Other then a small wobble (my fault) that thing is running super smooth.
Now, what I would like to see is a belt sander from Festool! Maybe one you can mount on a platform so it can be used as an edge sander
Old 03-21-2009, 05:38 AM

Never mind...
Festool Belt sander BS 75
Old 03-21-2009, 05:39 AM

Perhaps like this (NAINA):Festool Germany - International Website - Tools for the toughest demands
Old 03-21-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofurniture View Post
Wow, I didn't know the ETS150 has even less vibrations then it's smaller brother! Other then a small wobble (my fault) that thing is running super smooth.
Now, what I would like to see is a belt sander from Festool! Maybe one you can mount on a platform so it can be used as an edge sander
Hello Andreas

Yes, the ETS 150 even has less vibration then the 125. My son even enjoys using it and started when he was 4 years old!

The ETS 125 is also a great sander and I see no reason to change over to the 150!

Dan Clermont
Old 03-21-2009, 02:24 PM

Right now I only have the Rotex and while it works well and is great when you need to be aggresive, it's a bit of a handful for finish work, so I'm planning to get an ETS soon.

Everything I've heard makes it sound like the 150 is the way to go, unfortunately the Rotex is a 125, so unless I want to spend a second small fortune on discs I think I'm going to go the 125 route.

Fred
Old 03-21-2009, 03:07 PM

I have both the ets 150/3 & 125. I also have the RO150. I don't notice any less vibration in the 150 than the 125. In fact I'd say the 125 has far less vibration, not to mention a ton less weight. My only complaint is it doesn't sand edges well. the spinning slows down to a crawl when you are sanding something (like an edge) where wood has partial contact with the sandpaper. It's fantastic for sanding flat surfaces in between coats of finish or paint, though. Where you don't need to sand much material.
I find little difference between the ets 150 and RO150 (in ro mode) in terms of vibration. I don't mean to start a pissing contest between sanders this is just my .02.
I recently purchased the ets150, for sanding large panels with less fatigue than the RO. I may end up returning it for the RS 2. Nah, who am I kidding, I'll keep it and just buy the RS2! :stongue: It is still a nice sander.
As for the argument of getting a sander because you already own one with the same sized paper, you're just going to go through it twice as fast and you end up buying more of the same sized paper.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruegf View Post
.......Everything I've heard makes it sound like the 150 is the way to go, unfortunately the Rotex is a 125, so unless I want to spend a second small fortune on discs I think I'm going to go the 125 route.

Fred
Fred, we hear this often. While I understand the aversion to spending money on what seem redundant, I can't help but feel this logic is not well founded. I find it's often a much better investment to buy the right tool for the job even if it costs more upfront or there is an overlap in capabilities with another tool(s) I already own. This is especially true if the tools are for professional use. I'm much more satisfied with a tool purchase when it does the job more efficiently, better, faster or whatever than when I buy a tool with the logic I saved a buck and the tool doesn't quite works as I wish it would.

Point being if you need (or just want) the ETS 150, buy it and the amount of discs you know you'll use (and not more). If you find you need more paper there are local dealers stocking paper and some dealers will ship small orders for free.