talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Design and Inspiration

Design and Inspiration The building blocks of everything we do - function, methodology, aesthetics, philosophy, creativity & cause.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 05:06 PM

Default Flitch, anyone?

Anyone have a good source (hopefully on the west coast or intermountain area) for buying a flitch of walnut or cherry? Thinking about a table top that would be nice with sequenced boards from the same tree.

Only needs to be 4/4 or maybe 6/4.

The only thing I found casually surfing around for a minute was a mill that had 12/4 walnut 45 inches wide and 10 feet long - sounds like a great project for Okami, but not for me. They had five pieces in that flitch, at $10,000 to $15,000 per piece. I don't think I could get that past the finance committee chairwoman. Besides, I don't have a 48 inch jointer or planer, or any skill with a handplane, sorry to all you purists out there. (Although watching a 48 inch planer at work, if it existed, would be fun, no?)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-06-2016, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Flitch, anyone?

Wow $10-15,000 a piece! Wouldn't be causally buying those unless I had a job lined up for them that kinda wood can bankrupt ya.
I do have a thing for Claro Walnut, and it's hard to resist it when I come across some.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-06-2016, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Did you try this place yet? The Walnut Place
Old 08-06-2016, 03:06 PM

Paul,

I would check mills in your area to see about having them custom mill you up a few logs.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:07 AM

A number of years ago I saw a jointer with a 20 foot long infeed bed, and 10 foot long outfeed bed. I don't remember how wide it was, but it was probably close to 36" wide. It was located in an airplane hangar, along with other equipment suitable for working with enormous slabs of wooden material.

The shop was primarily used to build monumental wooden sculptures.

I didn't witness it in operation, but my imagination still runs wild thinking about it.

Charles
Old 08-07-2016, 05:21 AM

I have a friend who does custom milling, he currently has a large stock of Walnut. I think he has a couple good size Cherry logs that are uncut. Prices are pretty reasonable but he is located near the Coast in Oregon so transport is an issue. Flying out and getting Uhaul to go back would be the best cost wise.

If interested let me know and I will PM you contact info.

Mark
Old 08-07-2016, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

I believe that Northwest Timber (Northwest Timber - Quilted & Curly Maple, Claro Walnut, Myrtle, Figured Lumber, Hardwoods & Wood) in Jefferson OR sells flitches. I've not dealt with them, but they seem like really good people.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:19 PM

Sara and Lesly at Northwest Timber are great people. They sell the best lumber anywhere. I enjoy going there to get project materials. That being said the price point is very high, I have not bought a board that was less than 300.00. A flitch would be a closing in on the national debt.

I am not allowed to go there alone, .

Mark
Old 08-08-2016, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the great ideas and sources - I will have to work on special permission from the finance director/chairwoman.

Perhaps a side trip to Oregon can be arranged the next time I visit my daughter in Palo Alto. Mum's the word when my wife asks me why we are driving the truck instead of the car.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Thanks for the great ideas and sources - I will have to work on special permission from the finance director/chairwoman.

Perhaps a side trip to Oregon can be arranged the next time I visit my daughter in Palo Alto. Mum's the word when my wife asks me why we are driving the truck instead of the car.
The place I linked to is a lot closer to Palo Alto