talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Design and Inspiration

Design and Inspiration The building blocks of everything we do - function, methodology, aesthetics, philosophy, creativity & cause.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 12:22 AM

Default Hickory, anyone?

I am testing out some hickory now to see how it finishes, works, etc., for furniture. I have seen some nice figuring, and thought it would make a nice medium for slicing up and producing book-matched radial pattern marquetry.

I have no experience with hickory - any strong opinions here on the topic, particularly for suitability for this use? It seems to have an open-cell type of structure, more friable than maple, etc., I don't know if it is suitable here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Hickory, anyone?

It's very hard, but you knew that. It can be almost a little brittle, and what I mean there is that in thin pieces like you'd use in marquetry, you can snap it more readily simply because it is so dense. It doesn't flex.
It will give hand tools a respectable workout, but it finishes great. You can polish hickory up well enough to look like it has a finish on it when it doesn't.
It may not come into play for you, but I've found that when you're filling any kind of field with it, whether that be a door or your kitchen floor, it seems prone to developing checks. Some of that is the species, some of that is grading. Again, if you're looking at small pieces, it won't ever come up.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Hickory, anyone?

Thanks for the input - I am leaning toward diving in on this project using hickory. Samples tested shows that it mills well, it is brittle, but seems to have a bit more flex than hard maple, for instance. I am including in this project some bent laminations (just simple, not complex curves) - hope that it is not too brittle for that. On about a 36" radius, 1/8" thick laminations seem to bend OK. We'll see, I guess. The beauty of it is that my local supplier has some nice 12/4 and 10/4 stock, if I slice that up into some sequential veneers for marquetry, etc., it should produce some nice figuring to work with, I hope.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate the generous input of experts in this group.