talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Design and Inspiration

Design and Inspiration The building blocks of everything we do - function, methodology, aesthetics, philosophy, creativity & cause.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 07:54 PM

Default Looking for isometric black/white line drawings of hand planes

Does anyone have any black/white line drawings of hand planes? Or, if anyone is artistic, could I commission you to draw a few different perspectives for me?

Cheers
Old 04-21-2013, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Looking for isometric black/white line drawings of hand planes

Hey Shawn, I am interested, but the CAD program that I was most comfortable with will not work on today's computers. It was a program called Autosketch, produced by the same bunch that does Autocad. Autosketch was easy for me to work with, and had a lot of features that made it a steal as far as cost was concerned. The current version of this program is completely different now, and I am not familiar with it otherwise. I do have Autocad LT, but again, I am not that familiar with it.

Now, Sketchup is the way to go. While I consider myself comfortable with it. there are things that I still need to learn. Either way, I am interested in playing with your idea. While not Isometric, the drawings can be rotated in any direction to show features. Objects can be grouped to make working on the drawings easier, and Layers can be used to hide different parts, making the different views even more interesting.

PM me if you are still interested.

If I can produce the drawings, I should be able to save the drawing to a DVD and mail it to you. Then all you need is to download Sketchup for yourself in order to view the drawing.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

Shawn, I've made some "line drawings" of planes just using Photoshop. I took a color picture, made it black and white, changed the levels, extracted the image from the background, etc. Here's an example:

Here's a b&w extracted image of one of Konrad Sauer's planes:

And here's the "line drawing" of it:
Old 04-21-2013, 01:55 PM

Google>bench planes>select images tab>select search tools>select type>line drawing.

You can also search block planes etc.
~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!