talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Design and Inspiration

Design and Inspiration The building blocks of everything we do - function, methodology, aesthetics, philosophy, creativity & cause.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 04:20 AM

Default Fabsie - custom furniture at digital scale

Just ran across this interesting initiative that is a startup out of the UK.

They essentially are looking to make quality furniture available at a local level by allowing the uploading of designs and then the local production using CNC and similar tools... And full customization.

We'll see if it plays out. But an interesting way to drive possible scale and customization without the middleman. They want to pull together designers and makers in a virtual marketplace.

Fabsie

And their kickstarter page with a first product:

This Stool Rocks by James McBennett — Kickstarter

neil
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-16-2013, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Fabsie - custom furniture at digital scale

Interesting. I guess we'll see how it turns out. My wife contributed to Bob Moulds project on Kickstarter, which was my introduction to it.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Pretty cool idea! Maybe I should start saving for a CNC machine so I can be a "local source" to make the furniture....

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

We have a place like that in San Diego: MakerPlace - Home

You pay a fee to join and get training. Then you have access to all kinds of fun tools you'd never be able to afford for yourself. Unless you're John.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

We have a place like that in San Diego: MakerPlace - Home

You pay a fee to join and get training. Then you have access to all kinds of fun tools you'd never be able to afford for yourself. Unless you're John Fred.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Pretty cool, the "MakerPlace" concept. I just came back from a program our local community foundation sponsored and, lo & behold, there is a MakerPlace under development in our old high school building. Who knew? I tried to convince Donna that our garage is already a "MakerPlace" because the cars don't fit in there anymore, but she's not buying it....

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 03-26-2013, 02:44 PM

Hey great conversation guys! Found this forum via search. Happy to answer any questions about my kickstarter and plans afterwards.

There are many challenges ahead with this proposed system, not pretending there are none. If we can make it happen, it will be super exciting!

James.

(I'm not sure if I get an email upon every response here, If I don't respond, just email me james at fabsie dot com)

Last edited by mcbennett; 03-26-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome, James!!!

We're looking forward to seeing the progress of your project & designs! There are so many possibilities...

Old 03-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbennett View Post

... (I'm not sure if I get an email upon every response here, If I don't respond, just email me james at fabsie dot com)
James, if you subscribe to this thread (or any other) you'll get an email of all posts made in the thread. In your User Control Panel ("User CP" on the tool bar) you can set options for those emails.

And once again, to the forum. You'll find a lot of good info here, and we sure won't mind if you add a little more.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:23 AM

Thanks, I'm subscribed.

Might do CNC version of a George Nelson Desk next