talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Design and Inspiration

Design and Inspiration The building blocks of everything we do - function, methodology, aesthetics, philosophy, creativity & cause.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: And now...a shoji wall!

Are you envisioning removing the wallboard behind the fake panels to inset them into the wall to be flush with the other doors? The present folding doors can be moved forward to be flush with the wall, but getting the fake ones flush will mean removing some wall...
Old 07-02-2012, 09:41 PM

Peter,

Probably a bunch of different ways to do it; I do think after you make the mess and put in the time, you'll be glad you did. Looking at mismatched doors every time you come and go will drive you nuts.

Best,
Rutager

Last edited by rutager; 07-02-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:07 PM

I think having all those doors makes it look too busy. I like how when they cover a wide area, they use wider doors.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

I agree, Zap. Originally I hadn't been intending to put shoji along that wall. If I had, I'd probably have made a simpler lattice design. But I really don't feel like re-doing the doors I just made. They're only a few weeks old!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:34 AM

Of the initial pics, I like #2 better
Of the follow on suggestions, initially I thought (as I usually do) that Rutager was nuts. But I'm changing my tune.
And I completely agree that you can't have them at different elevations from the wall. That would, at least, drive me absolutely bonkers.
If that is a non bearing wall, you can do what you like to it, within some reason. Even making fake door jambs to emulate the appearance. They just don't open to anything.
You also have the potential issue of things that go through walls. HVAC tubes, wiring, etc. Knowing what is, or ain't, there ahead of time is a good thing.
Personally I like having trim around them. To me it is a more unified look. I do not care for the white painted wall between.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:44 AM

Randy,

I'm not nuts, I've been tested! Still probably a good idea to just nod and smile while you're talking to me though.

Peter,

If you keep the casing, I would like to see what it looks like going to the ceiling. Maybe panel to the ceiling with a shelf above the doors.

-Rutager
Old 07-03-2012, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Randy. Rutager, I'd love to see those test results...

I had a thought about the trim/casing: often in Japanese architecture they have a trunk of a tree as part of a nook or other feature. So I was thinking it would be cool to get a slab of a tree trunk that could fit floor-to-ceiling between the closet and pantry doors. It would have a flat face against the wall, and a rounded, live edge face facing out. Then, at the other end of the room I could incorporate a similar trunk into the fireplace remodel.

In any case, please keep those suggestions and comments coming. It's really useful!

P.S. But Randy, if you look at the picture that Zapdafish posted, you can see that the doors are all at different distances from the wall: they need to slide over one another. This is pretty standard with shoji.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:06 AM

right, but they're only offset by the thickness of the adjacent door. In this scenario, some are behind the wall surrounded by a jamb, and some are just face applied to the gypboard. At least, that's what I'm thinking you're looking at.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:28 AM

Randy is right, the other example has each set symmetrically offset- if you have your offset the way it works with your set up, they'll look like crap, there, I said it, it needed to be said and you will end up unhappy with the results. I think any effort spent to get your wall planer will be worth it and is probably more important to the overall look than how you handle the casing or lack thereof.

Best,
Rutager

P.S. just because the doctor who tested me has been discredited and disciplined multiple times by many medical boards doesn't mean my test wasn't accurate, so no, you can't see the test!