talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Design and Inspiration

Design and Inspiration The building blocks of everything we do - function, methodology, aesthetics, philosophy, creativity & cause.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 04:14 AM

Default Base ideas for this slab?

Although things have been incredibly slow around here lately, I thought I'd take a drive to one of my wood dealers.
I needed two or three boards of walnut. They don't usually sell just a few boards..I think it's been pretty slow for him too, so he said come along and pick a few up.
On arriving, I knew it was slow as he was eager to show me as much wood as possible in the hope of selling...well I was just throwing those few boards of walnut in the truck when he said come have a look at this. He took me to a dirty curved slab. This slab is Japanese Maple from Miyazaki prefecture in Kyushu. The tree was growing on a steep slope and so over the years started curving over. In 2008 it was removed and was destined for the wood chip mill I don't know all the details, but the wood dealer some how saved it from the chip mill. He bought the log and had it sliced.
The curve attracted me instantly, and we worked on a price. I actually got an fabulous price and don't need to pay until next month, so we loaded that in the truck too.
Right, that's the story behind the maple slab. It's about 2.1m long x 65cm deep x 8-9cm thick and its heavy.
This size would make a nice low table/ coffee table.
This is a "one off" and its not spoken for from a customer... so I have the freedom to choose the base design.
Any ideas out there???
Cheers!
P.S. the photo's look a bit gray...it's rain season here
Attached Thumbnails
base-ideas-slab-img_0270-1-.jpg   base-ideas-slab-img_0271-1-.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-30-2012, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Base ideas for this slab?

Okami,

Isn't it always the rainy season where you're at?

For a base, I'm seeing a leg at the inside and a leg at the outside of the curve and then a wider single leg at each end. Maybe linked together with a smaller more refined mirror of the top as a shelf.

Best,
Rutager

Last edited by rutager; 06-30-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Wow! Nice slab!

I'm seeing a desk with a peninsula, or cabinets under the long part, and a desk on the branch (that you can put your knees under).
Old 06-30-2012, 07:48 AM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

Okami,

You need to go back and buy another slab of the flitch to make the other half of the table

I think that slab (if you can't get a second) would be best suited for a bench or coffee table. I would use two slab legs and a stretcher between them, on edge like the image attached. Make sure the stretcher is curved to match the centreline of the slab
Attached Thumbnails
base-ideas-slab-swedish_style_ash_trestle_table.jpg  
Old 06-30-2012, 03:45 PM

I don't know what I'd do with it for sure, but my first thought went to things I have seen. It reminded me of a sofa table I saw that was walnut and live edge like that. He kept the top as the focal piece by making the base out of wrought iron. It was a nice contrast.
Naturally, design there is going to make the difference between stunning and forgettable.
It will be interesting to see your spin on it. The curve to me creates some challenges, and my head doesn't come up with solutions right away. This could be fun to play with in SU.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

That is wide enough to be a bar top or perhaps a reception desk. I might finish the good side first and then offer it for proposals to some possible customers. Maybe a small photo display ad in the Sunday magazine section or an etsy ad. You might get a bidding war going or at least a contest for the best use of the slab.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 07-03-2012, 12:04 AM

Thanks everyone for your ideas!
I am leaning towards a low table..the reasoning is, it will be easier to sell and by my reckoning, more profitable.
Low table designs are popular in Japan, not just as sofa/coffee tables, but as dining tables. The size of the slab is about right for that application.
To make this attractive to both customers seeking a low dining table or coffee/sofa table, it would be better to design a base that allows people to put their legs under the top. That means a shelf under the top wouldn't work.
So...any thoughts on that, and bases that would work?
Cheers
Old 07-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

How about something really simple? Like, maybe two vertical slabs (one near each end) that have through-mortises into the top. They don't even have to be at the ends of the table. They could be angled slightly to reduce racking.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:17 AM

I thought about that, Potosan..but that's what everyone does with slabs ( just look at flairwoodworks). It's okay, but predictable and doesn't look any different from the next mans slab, if you know what I mean
Old 07-03-2012, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

Then how 'bout some cast concrete supports? They could look pretty cool, especially if you cast them in wood-grain molds.

Or some nice boulders that extend through the table top?

Or a boulder at one end, and a wooden slab at the other end?