talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Design and Inspiration

Design and Inspiration The building blocks of everything we do - function, methodology, aesthetics, philosophy, creativity & cause.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Default Japanese-style pantry folding doors

As you come in the front door of our house, you enter into the dining room. On your left is a wall punctuated by a closet door, and a wide set of 4 folding doors that cover our pantry:

I've always hated the pantry doors. They're bland, cardboardy, and make an awful rattle when they move. They came with the house - they're cheap and ugly. So I took it upon myself to design and build some replacements.

I wanted something with a Japanese flavor to complement the other furniture and aesthetics in the house (including the giant photo of koi that hangs on the wall perpendicular to this wall):

I started designing the doors about a year ago. I thought I'd walk you through the evolution of my design, and see what you think. I'll start another thread to show you what I ended up building.

Initially I thought I'd do something simple. I was pretty set on doing a shoji-type panel up top with some lattice work (kumiko), and a wood panel below. Here is my first iteration (done in Sketchup):

I was envisioning that the horizontal bars would be 3/4". But the more I looked at it, the more boring I found it. The horizontal bars really dominated, and I was worried that it wouldn't be strong enough structurally with the main horizontal element so low down.

So here's my second iteration:

This one has fewer horizontal bars, and a larger panel. Still didn't like it. The width of the horizontal rails was too dominant.

Here's the third version:

Here I tried making it a bit more delicate, with more shoji and less panel. But I worried that there wasn't enough strength horizontally to stop the 79" tall doors from racking.

So here's try number 4:

This one has a thicker middle rail. But I thought it looked too weak. So I came up with this one:

But I wasn't happy with the balance of the wood and panels.

I put the project aside for a while so that I could stew on it. Some time late last year I suddenly had a brainstorm: I didn't have to make the lattice work all horizontal! I could play with it a bit, as long as it wasn't important structurally.

This new-found freedom led me to this design (number 6):

This was getting closer. The kumiko now had a nice balance of open space, squares, and rectangles. Lots of golden rectangles, leading to a pleasing proportion of space and bars. But I didn't like the overall balance of the kumiko - it was too top heavy somehow.

This was my next iteration. From here on I'm merely swapping small elements to try to achieve a better top-to-bottom and side-to-side balance. This is number 7:

Still not quite right. For some reason I felt tension from the top to the bottom, particularly along the outside edges. So then I came up with number 8:

Ah - this was more like it. A nice balance across all the doors, with a peaceful sort-of feel to them.

I tried one more design, just to see (number 9):

This one was also nice.

How to choose? I printed out versions 6-9, and showed them to people, including John Economaki. Everybody I showed them to chose the same one.

Which do you like? Why?

Last edited by Poto; 06-05-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-05-2012, 11:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Japanese-style pantry folding doors

No. 7. Dunno why, just do. Wait, maybe No. ?, No it's #7.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:21 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

That was a great breakthrough to pierce the grid.
Should be fun to build too.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting. No. 7 has maximum symmetry, while No. 9 is quite symmetric, particularly top-to-bottom.

Any more opinions?

Old 06-06-2012, 12:53 AM

#7 for me is the most pleasing to the eye. It has a friendly flow. #8 is more confusing in flow and feels quite aggressive. #9 I think it good also, but #7 is smiling more
Old 06-06-2012, 01:05 AM

I actually like #6.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I picked #6 for first, #9 second. Fibonaccied.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 06-06-2012, 02:57 AM

I like the white ones!

Okay if I have to vote, I'll take 7.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the input, guys! Very interesting.

By the way, in case I didn't mention it, I'm not going to take any of your advice: I've already made and installed the doors. But I am very interested in your opinions and justifications. I'd also be interested in modifications of the general design that you might have. I can send you the Sketchup file if you like. Let me know.

I'm also looking for ideas for replacing that closet door to the left of the folding doors.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator

I thought I'd try to make it easier to compare the doors, so I made up a composite figure of the four candidates together:

Keep those opinions coming!