talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Design and Inspiration

Design and Inspiration The building blocks of everything we do - function, methodology, aesthetics, philosophy, creativity & cause.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 08:12 AM

Default Kitchen island caster ?

I have a friend who is remodeling his kitchen. They want their island to have casters. They also want them to lock. Is there any hidden electric locking caster out there? Any clever ideas???
Thanks Tom
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-18-2012, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Kitchen island caster ?

Tom,
Nice challenge!
In a matter of approach, I believe the thinking should be that the "locking" would occur when the wheels are retracted upwards. The engagement would be foot-operated after opening a hidden panel. Of your two sets of wheels they would all have 360 degrees rotation. One "free" set one "operational" . The operational one would be the set that retracts, thus when it is lowered it would engage the movement position. All would be hidden within the kick-set-back.

I could swear that I have a tool table that functions in that manor if it is not buried in the storage part of my recent studio move. I'll take a look next week.
Cheers
Roger

It's a challenge, but a very doable one.
The real challenge would be to have a sink in that island as well.

Last edited by RogerSavatteri; 02-18-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSavatteri View Post
Tom,
Nice challenge!
In a matter of approach, I believe the thinking should be that the "locking" would occur when the wheels are retracted upwards. The engagement would be foot-operated after opening a hidden panel. Of your two sets of wheels they would all have 360 degrees rotation. One "free" set one "operational" . The operational one would be the set that retracts, thus when it is lowered it would engage the movement position. All would be hidden within the kick-set-back.

I could swear that I have a tool table that functions in that manor if it is not buried in the storage part of my recent studio move. I'll take a look next week.
Cheers
Roger

It's a challenge, but a very doable one.

Especially a functional one (you know, that drained and everything).
Old 02-19-2012, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSavatteri View Post

Especially a functional one (you know, that drained and everything).
Or even one with electrical outlets that actually supply, well, you know... electricity.