talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Design and Inspiration

Design and Inspiration The building blocks of everything we do - function, methodology, aesthetics, philosophy, creativity & cause.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Default Jameel Abraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

... Laurie's in Cedar Rapids. Or at least the boonies behind the sticks of Cedar Rapids...
Cedar Rapids seems to be a nest of renaissance folk.

Jameel is not only the "Bench Maestro", he's also a very talented Luthier:

Last edited by joraft; 02-16-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:22 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor
Default Re: Teaser Pic for Fred West (grin)

That's just it, John - besides his bench-making talents, I KNEW (maybe from the WIA thread?) that Jameel was a luthier.

I mean, I'm married to a MUSICIAN, for heaven's sake (the Skipper's earlier career was as a professional jazz bassist, and he's a talented arranger as well)... so DOUBLE shame on me for not knowing this incredibly gifted craftsman lives right here in my own town!

(sorry, Jameel. It's true... I am a complete dweeb sometimes)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post

... the Skipper's earlier career was as a professional jazz bassist, and he's a talented arranger as well...
Master woodworkers, bench builders, luthiers, musicians, bakers, and candy makers, it must be something in the Cedar Rapids water.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

I was thinking the same thing, John. Might have to make a pilgrimage out there to see what's up. Perhaps it's contagious.

P.S. A bit of trivia I accidentally learned recently: "Lute" is a mangled form of the word "oud" which means "wood" in some middle eastern language (Turkish perhaps?). And of course the eastern form of the lute is called an "oud", which is what Jameel is so skilled at making (and playing).
Old 02-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

"Lute" is a mangled form of the word "oud" which means "wood" in some middle eastern language (Turkish perhaps?).
And luthier comes from the French word for "lute", which is "luth".
Old 02-16-2010, 05:10 PM

Uh.....I hate you tell you guys this but you're just getting started on what this gentleman has the talent to express. Check out the carving on this candle console Jameel made for the church across the street from him.

He also does Iconography painting. He's a very talented gentleman given his young age of 36, most people spend their entire lives trying to become very adept in one skill set and he already is quite talented in several.

The funny thing is.......he's so unassuming, he thinks he's just a regular guy!

Ron Brese
Attached Thumbnails
jameel-abraham-dsc_5383r.jpg   jameel-abraham-dsc_5387.jpg  
Old 02-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Cedar Rapids seems to be a nest of renaissance folk.

Jameel is not only the "Bench Maestro", he's also a very talented Luthier:

I do not know if you really noticed but check out the work on the three sound holes on the left hand Oud. When we were at the WIA I was completely bowled over by the scroll work. It is so intricate. I asked Jameel how long it took him to finish the big one and he said TEN HOURS. Frankly, I could not accomplish what Jameel did there in ten years. It is just completely amazing. What I would give to have a tenth of Jameel's talent.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31

Last edited by FredWest; 02-16-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:38 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Amazing....

It took me a while to find Jameel's website, but I finally got there and I'm speechless.

For those who would like to see the stunning details of this magnificent instrument close-up, here they are.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:32 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Master woodworkers, bench builders, luthiers, musicians, bakers, and candy makers, it must be something in the Cedar Rapids water.
With all of those some of the even nicer attributes of those people was left out...
Old 03-03-2010, 04:56 AM

Default Re: Jameel Abraham

Hi,

I found this buried in another thread. Jameel is a member here and also a manufacturer (see the Benchcrafted forum). But these shots of some of his other work really needed to be in the Design and Inspiration forum.

Seth