talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Design and Inspiration

Design and Inspiration The building blocks of everything we do - function, methodology, aesthetics, philosophy, creativity & cause.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 06:47 PM

Default Veneer cylinders

AKA: Drum Shells

For us drum building folks a guy wrote a pretty quick and dirty guide to making your own ply drum shells. Now how this applies to you folks I have no idea but I figured you never know what gets the creative juices flowing.

Suggestions could range from making cylinders to use in modern shelving to table bases I suppose. Once the cylinder is made I guess you could cut it up into various curves, etc.

http://mckenziedrums.com/OpenShell/openShellv2.0.pdf

Enjoy!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-06-2009, 09:55 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Veneer cylinders

Thanks for posting the pdf.

Page 6, he's definitely not using Festools!
Page 9, I love the candle! But hey, it works.
Page, he's marked his router table to make a climbing cut, contrary to the usual recommendation.
Page 16, The shells look good from here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:01 PM

I think I have a newer version of that laying around... but I figured it was the principals behind it that were important rather than the execution. I checked everywhere and I couldn't find a candle that big in my house.

For some reason I feel like I've posted this before.... but I'm at work and too lazy to search so.... sorry if I have

On my shell I actually had a fiberglass guy make a mold from an existing shell in the size I needed. It was originally used to make carbon fiber shells for me but rather than build a new mold from MDF I figured I'd repurpose it since my buddy with the CF business had to close up. A cleaner but still low tech pressure method would be one of those big blow up work out balls. Worked great for my experiment but I'd recommend some bendy mdf between it and the veneer to prevent impressions from the lines in it.

The router is marked correctly.... for the inside of the shell.

First shell I built using this method: http://mckenziedrums.com/PlyShells/FirstPlyTung.jpg

The mould I use: http://mckenziedrums.com/PlyShells/Mold.jpg

The little inlay in the shell is cool but entirely an accident. Lets just say I should have measured twice.... Ended up with a HUGE gap so I slapped to pieces of veneer together... pressed them... cut to size... and voila! Inlay
Old 11-06-2009, 10:17 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Thanks for pointing out you route the inside of the shell. Shows how much I know about drum shells.

That's some funky fiberglass! I like the vertical figure of the veneer inside. Is that zebra wood?

Last edited by MichaelKellough; 11-08-2009 at 03:38 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:34 PM

It's not zebrawood... honestly can't remember what it was. Grabbed a pack of veneer off ebay to experiment with. The inside of the mould/mold/however you want to spell it is completely smooth actually. The outside doesn't really matter so they just kind of slop it together.

The reason for the vertical grain in that photo is because it makes it a LOT easier to bend sheets of veneer together if you sandwich in some vertical grain pieces. Makes for a lot more cutting but it reinforces the shell over all and makes life easier when you start laying it up in the thingamajig.

Now that I think about it... it'd probably be a heck of a lot easier to just buy some of that cold bend hardwood instead of screwing with this if you want to bend stuff.

Typically most of the material is removed from the inside edge of a drum shell... then you just do a small relief on the outside for the drum head to conform to. There's all kinds of theories and concepts on what edges are best for what sound. I'm just glad Amana makes a 60 degree bit so I can cut narly 30 degree edges on steambent or stave built stuff.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:19 AM

That's cool. I'd always imagined the clamping would be done around the outside of the form with band clamps or some such... Makes sense though.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:15 AM

Band clamps work great for staves and other solid wood drums but don't give even enough pressure for something like this.... So the female mold is kind of the only way to go really short of coming up with a custom clamping system. Defeats the purpose of being home made I guess
Old 11-08-2009, 12:54 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Very cool!