talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Czeck Edge Hand Tool

Czeck Edge Hand Tool Thank you for your visit to the Czeck Edge forum. We take extreme pride in our craftsmanship because we know your craftsmanship demands the best. Czeck Edge began the manufacture of woodworking layout tools in July 2005. Today our product line has grown to include awls, bird cage awls, burnishers and marking knives. We have recently added dovetail chisels in multiple sizes. Complete hardware kits are available featuring the same blades used in our production tools. All Czeck Edge tools and components are handcrafted with pride and 100% made in USA.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Founding Member

Default Dovetail Chisels

Lady & Germs,

I have been using these three wonderful chisels from Czeck Edge for the last few months. I would have written about them before but they were not available on Bob's website and he was hammered with back orders. They are still not on the website but you may write Bob and order from him at this point as I believe that his backlog is either filled or close enough to not be a bother. Bob will correct me if I am wrong. The chisels are really great for getting into small areas as they are only 6 3/8" long. Right now I have the 3/16", 1/4" and 5/16" chisels. The handles are acrylic infused which is something that I have really come to love as they seem to be virtually indestructible and do not dent easily if dropped. Not that I have EVER dropped a hand tool, ever, ever. But if I did. Anywho, I have really come to love these little buggers and use them all of the time. Writing about these also made me realize that another reason I am so pleased with these chisels is that with the shorter length it brings me closer to the wood which makes my work with them a bit more exacting. I would love to hear from anyone else that may have some of Bob's little chisels as well.

Fred

Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-05-2010, 04:54 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default Re: Dovetail Chisels

I'll look forward to them being available. I have a few of Bob's other tools and they are unequaled in quality. The last I had talked to him he was looking to expand the sizes possibly up to ~1/2" -- Do you know where that stands Fred? Also, what steel are your made of? Very nice indeed.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
I'll look forward to them being available. I have a few of Bob's other tools and they are unequaled in quality. The last I had talked to him he was looking to expand the sizes possibly up to ~1/2" -- Do you know where that stands Fred? Also, what steel are your made of? Very nice indeed.
Ron,

I am sorry but I do not know the answers to your questions. However, I emailed Bob and he is going to jump in here and answer you. I also asked him for pricing as I could not remember what I paid.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 PM

Hey Ron,

Thank you for the kind words and your interest in our chisels. They are currently available in 1/8, 3/16, , 5/16 and 3/8 . The steel is O1 at RC 58 -59 and the ferrules are machined bronze. The handles are acrylic impregnated curly maple dyed either in coppertone like Freds or ebony / black. The overall length is about 6 . Prices are $54.95 for 1/8, 3/16 and , $59.95 for 5/16 and 3/8 is $64.95. If you purchase three or more you may deduct 10% off the total. Buying a full set of five allows the purchase of one for price.

We have been quietly manufacturing these since last September. WIA and the LN Events generated quite a backlog which is now about gone. I should have these up on the website in a couple of weeks, I have to get a set off to my photographer and then get a page put together, etc.. which all takes time.

If you or anyone else would like one or a set, please contact me through my website and let me know what youd like. Ill invoice you when were ready to ship your order. Right now the turnaround is a week until further notice.

Cheers, Bob
Old 08-05-2010, 07:25 PM

Fred,

Thanks for the nice review! Great pictures too! I know it may have killed you holding off on putting a post up about your new tools several months ago. I do appreciate you waiting until I got the backlog knocked down and some production issues ironed out. I hope you enjoy many years of use from those chisels.

Cheers, Bob
Old 08-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobZajicek View Post
Hey Ron,

Thank you for the kind words and your interest in our chisels. They are currently available in 1/8, 3/16, , 5/16 and 3/8 . The steel is O1 at RC 58 -59 and the ferrules are machined bronze. The handles are acrylic impregnated curly maple dyed either in coppertone like Freds or ebony / black. The overall length is about 6 . Prices are $54.95 for 1/8, 3/16 and , $59.95 for 5/16 and 3/8 is $64.95. If you purchase three or more you may deduct 10% off the total. Buying a full set of five allows the purchase of one for price.

We have been quietly manufacturing these since last September. WIA and the LN Events generated quite a backlog which is now about gone. I should have these up on the website in a couple of weeks, I have to get a set off to my photographer and then get a page put together, etc.. which all takes time.

If you or anyone else would like one or a set, please contact me through my website and let me know what youd like. Ill invoice you when were ready to ship your order. Right now the turnaround is a week until further notice.

Cheers, Bob
Bob,

Do you expect to be bringing out a 1/2" dovetail sometime soon as well? That would be a really nice size to have along with the ones you already have.

Fred
Old 08-05-2010, 08:08 PM

Hey Fred,
Im working on another series. These will be like the current models, but 20% larger roughly. The sizes will be 7/16 to 5/8 by 16s. The blades will have a taper grind front to back like the current models do. This is a unique feature and our chisels are the only ones on the market with it. The existing chisels hardware was not size appropriate to accommodate the larger blade widths so a redesign was necessary. Id like to have these available in two months, but we all now how that goes.

Cheers, Bob
Old 08-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobZajicek View Post
Hey Fred,
Im working on another series. These will be like the current models, but 20% larger roughly. The sizes will be 7/16 to 5/8 by 16s. The blades will have a taper grind front to back like the current models do. This is a unique feature and our chisels are the only ones on the market with it. The existing chisels hardware was not size appropriate to accommodate the larger blade widths so a redesign was necessary. Id like to have these available in two months, but we all now how that goes.

Cheers, Bob
Bob,

That really sounds great and I will be very much looking forward to seeing the new chisels. Please pardon the ignorance but what does the front to back grind do for the chisels? I see a longer bevel which to me makes it even easier to get into tight spots but is that the answer?

Fred
Old 08-05-2010, 09:00 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

An excellent contour style for finish paring!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post
Bob,

.... Please pardon the ignorance but what does the front to back grind do for the chisels? I see a longer bevel which to me makes it even easier to get into tight spots but is that the answer?

Fred
Fred,

Yes that is part of the answer, you can clean out half blind DTs pretty easily. The other thing is they won't stick in a cut to the extent that a straight sided chisel will. You can withdraw these very easily from a chop.

Ron,

These are great for paring, but don't let the diminutive size fool you. These are petty tough tools, the blades are 3/16" thick for a reason and can chop appropriately sized DTs easily. Think of them as mini-mortisers.

Thank you for the comments and questions.

Cheers, Bob