talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Czeck Edge Hand Tool

Czeck Edge Hand Tool Thank you for your visit to the Czeck Edge forum. We take extreme pride in our craftsmanship because we know your craftsmanship demands the best. Czeck Edge began the manufacture of woodworking layout tools in July 2005. Today our product line has grown to include awls, bird cage awls, burnishers and marking knives. We have recently added dovetail chisels in multiple sizes. Complete hardware kits are available featuring the same blades used in our production tools. All Czeck Edge tools and components are handcrafted with pride and 100% made in USA.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 04:06 PM

Default Bird Cage Awls

Bird cage awls are wonderful hand tools that seldom get the airplay they deserve and thats probably because they are not widely known. This tool has the uncanny ability to bore small holes in thin wood without splitting it a trait prized by bird cage makers in centuries past. The small holes were made in the cross pieces to accommodate reeds or bars which formed the enclosure of the cage. Or so Ive been told. Ive seen catalogues from the late 19th century that had bird cage awls included with other use specific awls on their pages, so I suppose that gives some credence to their origin and purpose.

Today bird cage awls probably are not used too much in the construction of their namesake as those chores have been taken over by robotic welders to form cages of steel, not wood. However, they still excel at marking holes and boring them. The pyramid shape of the point on the square blade produces sharp edges that shear the wood fibers cleanly creating a layout hole instantly with a twist and a bit of downward pressure. A drill bits point can easily be located by such a mark. The bird cage awls point will not be easily deflected by wood grain like a center punch sometimes can be. Youll have your hole right where you want it. You also do not need to occupy both hands with the punch and mallet, the awl works just fine with one.

Boring a tapered hole is pretty quick and easy with a bc awl as well. A hole to fit a #4 through #6 wood screw can be created in a matter of seconds. These holes are perfect for attaching the hardware on smallish boxes like humidors and jewelry. Small countersunk screw heads will seat flush when their holes are created with a bc awl.

So why all the noise today about bird cage awls, you wonder? Well, I received a note earlier this AM from Rob Porcaro alerting me to a blog post he had made about our bird cage awls. Rob had the booth next to mine at the Lie Nielsen Event in Boxborough, MA earlier this month and purchased a cocobolo bird cage awl from me. Here is his blog entry. Heartwood Blog Archive OK tools and excellent tools I been wanting to post something about these unique tools and Rob gave me the perfect excuse.

Cheers, Bob
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-23-2009, 04:26 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Bird Cage Awls

Thanks for explaining the good in bird cage awls Bob. I'd been wondering...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-25-2009, 05:24 AM

Great. Now I want one.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:26 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I'll need one to go along with this GREAT Rule Stop that I got!
Old 12-25-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post
Great. Now I want one.
Tomorrow the 26th is FREE SHIPPING on all orders placed before midnight! Merry Christmas!

Cheers, Bob
Old 12-25-2009, 06:55 PM

Well I reckon I'm gonna have to be a part of your customer database in the morning.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:14 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Well, I've just placed an order for the bird cage awl with a Cocobolo handle. Christmas two days in a row..
Old 12-26-2009, 04:20 PM

awl and knife . . . kits (KITS? how cool is that?!?!?)
I need lathe practice. I think it'll be fun making handles.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post
awl and knife . . . kits (KITS? how cool is that?!?!?)
I need lathe practice. I think it'll be fun making handles.
...I don't have a lathe, if you REALLY want practice I'll send you my mail address.

(for the handle)
Old 12-29-2009, 09:19 PM

Worthy of a short review
I ordered, Bob shipped, they arrived.
Now I'll try to do my best to be unbiased and neutral in this assessment, so will have to restrain myself and say
I think they're freaking awesome.
I went from the mailbox to the lathe today to make handles. Bocote for the awl and bloodwood for the knife. Already test driven both.
Very nice, Bob.