talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Computing

Computing A place to discuss computers, other digital devices, software and apps.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 04:42 AM

Default how do I access my external hard drive?

Ok all you smarty pants. The rookie needs help again. I have a WD 500 external hd. How do I get to stuff I have in there? It is on my Mac running Leopard 10.5.
thanks, one of these days I'll grow up and figure all this stuff out Naw, that's just reason I hang with all you smart dudes
Tom
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:58 AM

Default Re: how do I access my external hard drive?

I assume you have it connected via a USB or Firewire cable. If so open the finder and it should be there as a device. Also it should show up on your desk top, if so just double click it.

Last edited by TomCrawford; 02-11-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:21 AM

As TomCrawford says it should always appear on your desktop.

There is an option in Finder Preferences to select which items appear on the left hand side of a finder window, you need to have "External Disks" checked.

If you have had it working, and now it has stopped, you may have unmounted it. In that case unplug it from the Mac and plug it back in; you should hear the drive spin up and then it will appear on the desktop and in the Finder.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:59 AM

a word on the . . .

Procedure to REMOVE a USB or Firewire Cable That connects an External Hard-drive on a Mac.

You should use caution when removing a USB or Firewire cable that connects an external hard drive to a mac.

Before you remove it you need to close any windows you have open that are connected with the external hard drive.

You then need to eject the icon of the external hard-drive before you remove the actual cable.

You do so by dragging the external hard-drive icon into the trash first.
On a mac - that icon is usually located just below the symbol for the internal hard drive on you desktop - upper right hand corner.
(when you do this on a mac the trash icon morphs into an eject symbol)

After you visually see the External hard drive icon disappear - it's safe to now remove the actual cable.

If you do not follow this procedure you could corrupt files that are on the external hard drive.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:20 PM

Can't you also two finger or right click on the icon and tell it to eject the drive?

Peter
Old 02-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Yes. Or for those of us with a one-button mouse, hold down the control key while clicking on the icon.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:11 PM

I don't have an icon on my desk top. When I download pics from camera I get an icon on my desk top. I don't see the preferences in finder.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkTom View Post
I don't have an icon on my desk top. When I download pics from camera I get an icon on my desk top. I don't see the preferences in finder.
What icon are you referring to?

The WD external hard drive?

also, if your downloading pics from your camera you should be downloading them directly into I-Photo.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkTom View Post
Tom, that is correct, you should see that icon on the desktop when downloading pictures. That also shows you have the finder set up to show external hard drives.

Does the hard drive look like it is getting power? Any lights on it? Has the hard drive been formatted for the Mac? Try running Disk Utility in the Utilities folder and see if it sees the hard drive.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:21 AM

If the drive isn't showing on your desktop then it isn't being recognised.

Plug in the power first, then as you plug in the USB cable you should hear the disk spin up. If you can't hear it, it suggests the drive is dead.

If it does spin up, try reformatting it in Disk Utilities. If Disk Utilities doesn't show it, then again it is probably dead.

And yes, as Roger says, before disconnecting any drive you should unmount it by ejecting it.

Good luck.