talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Computing

Computing A place to discuss computers, other digital devices, software and apps.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Founding Member

Default Canon control software on a Mac.

Chris Breeze, author of DSLR Remote Pro, said yesterday:
Quote:
DSLR Remote Pro runs fine on a Mac using Parallels Desktop 3.0. I haven't tried it with the latest version, Parallels Desktop 4.0, but that should work too.

I'm also working on a Mac OS X version of DSLR Remote Pro and hope to have a beta version available next month.
Breeze Systems - Digital Camera Workflow Software: Browser, Downloader, Canon Remote Capture

This post was an experiment. Couldn't decide whether it should go in Computing or Photography. The news belongs in both, but I'm guessing any subsequent discussion should be here in Computing.

Ned

Last edited by NedYoung; 04-28-2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Explanation of posting.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Canon control software on a Mac.

The Breeze NKRemote (for Nikon) runs fine on my Mac, in XP mode. I don't have Parallels Desktop yet, so I can't say about that.

Breeze has said that there will never be a Mac version of NKRemote, but that could change. It would be nice.

Last edited by joraft; 04-28-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-26-2009, 04:03 AM
Founding Member

DSLR Remote Pro runs fine on a Mac using Parallels 4.0.

Unlike Boot Camp, which allows you to start and run the Mac hardware with either MacOS or Windows, Parallels runs Windows at the same time as MacOS. The Win apps run in Mac windows. You can click from one to the other, cut & paste from one to the other, share directories and files. Some Windows apps are a bit slower, but all the ones I've tried run acceptably.

Ned
Old 10-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Founding Member

This just in:

DSLR Remote Pro for Mac v1.0 full release now available.

Quote:
What Do I Need to Install DSLR Remote Pro for Mac?
An internet connection and an Intel Mac computer running Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), OS X 10.5 (Leopard) or OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

Who Uses DSLR Remote Pro for Mac?

Studio and Product photographers use the grid overlay option for accurate alignment and composition of product shots. The ability to control shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc. from the computer and to take fast, large preview shots saves valuable time when setting up a shot. The flashing highlight display and histogram display (intensity, red, green and blue channels) give accurate exposure feedback. Provides color managed previews for more accurate display of colors for critical applications.

Portrait and Event photographers take pictures using the camera as normal and download them automatically to the computer where an assistant can show them to customers, take reprint orders or print them on the spot.

Aerial Photography DSLR Remote Pro for Mac allows real estate agents and others to control a camera mounted on a mast or cherry picker from a computer at ground level.

Movies and Computer Graphics. Auto bracket up to 15 shots for creating high dynamic range (HDR) images.

Wildlife and landscape photographers use the ability to operate the camera remotely for taking pictures in sensitive or hard to reach areas. Remote live view enhances the photographer's ability to select the moment and focus accurately from a remote computer. They can also use the time lapse function to take a sequence of pictures at regular intervals.

How Much Does DSLR Remote Pro for Mac Cost?
DSLR Remote Pro for Windows costs US $95 (click here for free trial* or to purchase) and includes one full year of free upgrades.

Special Introductory Offer: Buy DSLR Remote Pro for Mac for just US $75 (US $50 for existing DSLR Remote Pro for Windows customers). This offer is available until the end of October 2009 after which time the price will be US $95.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:38 PM

Here is one that uses your iPhone.
DSLR Camera Remote - onOne Software
See demo video about two thirds down the page.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:00 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Very timely! My Canon Rebel XSi dSLR and my first ever real macro lens just arrived (no more point and shoot for me!) and I'm just itching to get this remote thing figured out....
Old 03-02-2010, 07:07 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Update (as mentioned by Ned up thread):
Breeze Systems finally issued a Mac version of DSLR RemotePro last year, and I've been using it for several months now.

Review - Reader's Digest version:
It's GREAT - honestly, I don't know how I ever got along without it.

By the way (unlike the Windows demo version) the Mac demo version permits unlimited, full use of the software. Anyone willing to put up with lots of nag screens could use it for free forever. I finally got tired of them after a couple of weeks and just paid the $129 license fee. Money well spent.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post

Review - Reader's Digest version:
It's GREAT - honestly, I don't know how I ever got along without it.

Anyone willing to put up with lots of nag screens could use it for free forever. I finally got tired of them after a couple of weeks and just paid the $129 license fee. Money well spent.
I feel the same way about my Breeze NKRemote (now running on 64 bit Win 7 on a PC laptop).

The software has not only helped me take better photos, it has helped with the learning curve on a camera that was WAY too complicated for me when I first got it.