talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools > CNC Routers

CNC Routers Building, Modifying, Running, and Programming CNC Routers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2016, 04:35 PM
Founding Member

Default A handheld CNC router.

You read that right. A handheld CNC router. Your hands provide most of the movement while the router itself has a small range of motion which it uses to keep the cutter exactly on path. This is being designed as a woodworking tool, but the video demonstrates cutting sheet aluminum.

Demonstration

http://www.shapertools.com/#homepage
Old 06-05-2016, 01:30 AM

Default Re: A handheld CNC router.

Very cool idea, I'll be seriously considering a purchase.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-06-2016, 07:29 PM

Very interesting, hope they can get it to market.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-06-2016, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

I've been emailing with these guys (they're very responsive) - they're aiming to release an initial version of the router for pre-sale in late summer. Looks like a pretty versatile tool!
Old 06-08-2016, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

If you cut dovetails with it, are they still considered hand-cut?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 06-14-2016, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

I've been emailing with Rob at Shaper, the company that invented this CNC router ("Origin"). I had asked him some questions, and he very kindly replied, and said I could share the answers with you here. So here you go:

As you know we are working hard on getting Origin ready for pre-order in late summer and so I just want to be clear that the tool shown in videos/images is a prototype still in development. Therefore these details may vary slightly to the soon to be revealed production version.

Below are the answers to your questions.

Whats the Horizontal "throw" of the router?
The area of correction is ~14mm

Whats the vertical movement?
The Z axis has a range of ~1.5"

How quickly can I move?
The speed you can move the tool is constrained by the material you're using, speed of the router and depth you're taking with each pass. The tool by default goes at what ever speed you're moving but like any power tool you should have a feel for your material and adjust accordingly. If you are going too fast it will become obvious based on the sound/smell of the router and if your too quick for the camera (~120 fps) then you will see that visually indicated on the display.

What happens with sawdust on the tape?
The system can cope with sawdust on the tape. As long as the system can detect at least 4 markers it will work. If you drop below that it will just pull the router out of your material to prevent you from damaging it. You would then just clean the dust off and continue where you left off. The tool has a vacuum port for dust extraction so we would also recommend that you use that while doing heavy cuts.

What software can we use to design templates?
You can send vector graphics to the tool so you can use existing tools like illustrator, Inkscape or CAD software like Sketchup, Solidworks etc. They can be sent to the tool either via USB or wirelessly (More details during our launch). The tool currently does 2D cuts but as we have control over the z axis it is technically possible to do 3D but this would come at a later date via a software update and possible require and accessory.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:51 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Just imagine the crazy inlays...
Old 06-15-2016, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

I was thinking the same thing, Michael.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:06 PM

I was thinking that the "Z" axis was going to be very limited- can't really shove a router into something that is sticking up.

As an only 2D device, I'm thinking that it won't have enough value for me- my friend who has built a CNC has told me that for the same money, he can help me source the parts and built a small and very accurate bench top CNC.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

Could you build me one too, Rutager?