talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools > CNC Routers

CNC Routers Building, Modifying, Running, and Programming CNC Routers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Default My DIY Cast CNC Router Build

Michael K asked to see some pictures so I thought I'd start posting a few.

After many, many hours of researching I decided to build what is referred to as a CastCNC v2.5. The CastCNC unit was designed by a gentleman named Harry Gibson and the initial inspiration came from the Joe's CNC unit. Harry designed and personally casts all the parts. There is no one way to build one of these units and i've never really seen any units identical to the other. You can spec these out in pretty much whatever size and components you want.
http://www.castcnc.com http://www.joescnc.com

This is a rendering of roughly what the top end of a completed machine looks like.

My first package of parts. These are rough cast parts and it's up to the end user to clean up all the casting and drill and tap any and all necessary holes. There are many choice for, routers/spindles, motors and electronics, software, etc. You have a lot of research and learning to do if you start one of these.

Last edited by ChrisM; 01-22-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Default My DIY Cast CNC Router Build

Parts have to be cleaned up, drilled, tapped, etc. You can paint, sand, whatever you want for a finished look or not. It's all up to the end user how to go about things.

Here I'm just trying to flatten and clean up the part. Not necessary but it's what I wanted to do

finished part -holes that need drilled in it

Last edited by ChrisM; 01-08-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Default Re: My DIY Cast CNC Router Build

Some assembled parts and components

I selected a Porter Cable 7519 3.25 HP Router and chose to use a external Variable Speed Controller so that I have full control of RPM down to 5000. The controller gives you almost full motor torque at any RPM.

I had to modify the router soft start to disable it, then set it up so that I can read RPM off the top of the unit.

Testing

The power supply I chose is pretty large. Has 2-70V outputs and also 12V and 5V for various electronics. It's about 35 pounds.

Last edited by ChrisM; 01-08-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Here's my Z axis that the router mounts to. It has 8" of travel as I plan on doing some 4th axis turning in the future with it.

Router motor with dust shoe and precision ER collet

Cuting some of the extrusions and I beam

Last edited by ChrisM; 01-08-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Here's some with more bolts in place and the V bearings installed

Here's the gantry and some of what it takes to assemble it

It's very stout to say the least. The 2 80-20 extrusions are sandwiching an I beam and then topped off with a plate.

Last edited by ChrisM; 01-08-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:34 PM

Amazing skills ChrisM.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Thanks Ron and Waho

Not much progress will take place in the next couple of weeks as I'm waiting on the back ordered V-Rail. I'm using the Modular Bolt on IVT Rail from these folks PBC Linear Integral V Technology and shipping has already been pushed a couple of time already.

The base is going to be built with 4x4 square tubing and I'm hoping to get started on building it next weekend.

I've got all the controls pretty much spec'd out although I haven't made the purchase of everything yet. I'll of course build my own control panel and set everything up. Lot's and Lot's to do still.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:58 AM

ohh so much new stuff to learn.

Thanks for the great photo learning.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Chris, every time I see your work I am reminded of what a fine craftsman you are.

This is going to be a fun project to see unfold. Please keep us up to date.

My CNC machine is no where near the quality of yours, but as embarrassing as it may be I'll post photos anyway.

Also, the quality control on the Sharks is not what it could be, so I'll be doing some stuff to it even before I get it up and running.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:54 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Thanks for the pics Chris. Looks like a fun project but are you going to be able to walk in the shop?

It's amazing what you can build these days. 50 years ago it was really cool to make a radio from parts. Now it's a 4 axis robotic milling machine that can duplicate things you design in a computer.