talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2019, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Default Bridge City has a new owner

I'm a little late to the party since I haven't been reading their blog, but just discovered that Bridge City was sold in 2018 and is now located in Los Angeles. John Economaki is still involved with tool design. I know it is a little soon, but is anyone here familiar with the new products since the transition?
Old 03-16-2019, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Bridge City has a new owner

I knew they moved, did not know about the sale. Can't really be Bridge City on LA. Portland has a bunch of bridges that split the town.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-16-2019, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Having spent a good portion of my life in L.A. I can assure everyone there are a lot of bridges there... the freeway kind that is
Old 03-20-2019, 05:26 PM

No experience with the new company, but it seems that they have abandoned John's approach of semi "one time tool" production and plan to keep inventory. I also see them selling through Lee Valley.

I wonder what this will do to the value of BCT offerings that collectors bought as investments.

I am relieved, though, that someone has picked up the reins. I was wondering if I would be able to continue to buy JMP blades anywhere.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-01-2019, 04:00 AM

I got a tad paranoid on JMP blades especially near the time of sale and am now “sitting” on about a hundred! Can’t be too careful.

I also visited them in Portland just before the sale and John inquired if I would be interested in acquiring the inventory of old parts and pieces and start up my own independent company to service the older tools. I said “yes” and started BCTW Legacy Repairs llc - website is bctwlegacyrepairs.com

I’m a separate company, but keep in touch weekly with the new owners to give the best service we can to customers old and new.

Rutager
Old 04-01-2019, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
I got a tad paranoid on JMP blades especially near the time of sale and am now “sitting” on about a hundred! Can’t be too careful.

I also visited them in Portland just before the sale and John inquired if I would be interested in acquiring the inventory of old parts and pieces and start up my own independent company to service the older tools. I said “yes” and started BCTW Legacy Repairs llc - website is bctwlegacyrepairs.com

I’m a separate company, but keep in touch weekly with the new owners to give the best service we can to customers old and new.

Rutager
Congratualtions on the new business! Quite the unexpected development. What kinds of repairs have been coming in?
Old 04-02-2019, 01:37 AM

Thanks, it is interesting and I have bins of cool parts now! Of course I have tons of some parts and very few of others. I literally have tens of thousands of tiny screws that realistically someone may need a couple every few years and then none or very few of parts that many people might find themselves needing. I am able to get access to some CAD files, but small runs are so expensive.

The most repairs I have done are on the CS-1 centerscribe, because of the corrosive nature of the Juara wood and assembly adhesive, they tend to “weld” themselves up and need a complete cleaning. I just had two different ones last week that got dropped one the track fell off, the other the wooden arm actually broke- I believe I made a good repair, but won’t be charging the owner until he uses it a bit and decides the repair will last.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:55 PM

Bridge City was sold to Harvey Industries. Harvey is a Chinese contract manufacturer that has made many BCTW tools for the international market as well as their Chopstick maker. Their quality is excellent. They have done contract manufacturing for Sawstop, Delta, General and many other manufacturers.

I was in LA at the opening of the new location last Fall and saw John, Rutager and many of the Harvey team.

I think the company is in good hands and I've purchased a few of the tools they have manufactured and cannot tell the difference in them versus the old BCTW versions.

neil
Old 04-10-2019, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Thanks Neil, that’s great feedback and good news.