talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Default Chopstick Master announced!

Bridge City Toolworks has announced the Chopstick Master:

Chopstick Master - What's New - Tools - Bridge City Tool Works

The full kit includes the Chopstick Master, an HP-8 plane and depth skids, a bunch of wooden chopstick blanks, some bags, a honing jig, and some food-grade oil for the chopsticks. I was fortunate enough to get to try one of these out, and they're a total blast! A total woodworking newbie can make a perfect pair of chopsticks in about 15 minutes, and you get faster the more you practice. I had a little party where we all made chopsticks (Japanese style, though you can make Chinese style, too), and then went out for sushi to use our chopsticks. I don't think the sushi chef understood that we had just MADE them!

The price for all this? A mere $359 ($323.10 if you're a Founders Club Member, which is totally worth the price of admission). To put this in context, the HP-8 with depth skids costs $259 ($224.10 for FC). So you're only paying $100 for the Chopstick Master (no, you can't purchase it without the HP-8). It's kind of an insane bargain. You'll be impressed when you try this thing: it's substantial. I was amazed at how big and hefty it was - and of course, beautifully engineered and finished.

No, you'll probably never make enough chopsticks to pay it off. But it's really fun, and probably the only woodworking tool that a complete novice could use and instantly make a perfect, usable product right off the bat.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Chopstick Master announced!

Cool, this could be good for me especially if it's as easy as you say. Can you start with a blank and have a finished pair of chopsticks with just this chopstick master? The reason I ask, it could be a good crowd puller at some furniture and craft exhibitions I ocasionally do.
Do you have a picture of the chopsticks you made potosan?
Cheers
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-11-2015, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Okamisan, you do indeed start with a blank (270x7x7 mm) - I made my own, but the Chopstick Master kit comes with several blanks of different woods. They're easy to make - you would have no problems.

I don't have any pictures to share just now, but Rutager, Paul-Marcel, Masood, and Konrad have all made beautiful chopsticks. I'll try to post some pictures, but in the meantime perhaps someone who has already photographed their chopsticks could post some...

The little pyramid on the top is just amazing!
Old 09-11-2015, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

And yes: everything you need to make chopsticks is included (even the plane!). It would be an amazing thing for a trade show. John Economaki is in China right now, showing it off. He's become a celebrity there, due to the popularity of the Chopstick Master!
Old 09-11-2015, 01:06 PM

Thanks Potosan!
Yeah, I think they could be a hit at shows!
I'd like to see some photos of the finished chopsticks to get an idea of the taper and whether they'd be good for here (Japan).
Here's a couple of chopsticks I just pulled out of my kitchen drawer
Attached Thumbnails
chopstick-master-announced-image.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-11-2015, 01:08 PM

Chopsticks
Attached Thumbnails
chopstick-master-announced-image.jpg  
Old 09-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

You can do two different tapers with the Chopstick Master: one tapers to a 5 mm octagonal tip, the other to a 2 mm octagonal tip. I like the latter one - more Japanese style. I'll try to get you some pictures this weekend.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

What? No recipes included?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 09-11-2015, 10:29 PM

I pre-ordered this as soon as I got the email. I have no idea why

Should be fun though and I can impress my local sushi chef. I have seen some really nicely finished ones in the past and I hope we can see some pics of how people are finishing theirs (hint, hint).
Old 09-12-2015, 06:06 AM

I think most decent, good quality chopsticks here have a natural lacquered finish.
Some chopsticks are sold without any finish. Quality Japanese chopsticks are regarded as the best out there.