talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Chopstick Master announced!

I guess the good news is it only takes a few minutes to make a pair. I would feel a little more latitude for experimentation with finishes as opposed to trying not to screw up something I spent 6 months working on.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-12-2015, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

I just finished mine with mineral oil - beautiful color, simple, and easily updated.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
I guess the good news is it only takes a few minutes to make a pair. I would feel a little more latitude for experimentation with finishes as opposed to trying not to screw up something I spent 6 months working on.
You're right, Steve. With this chopstick master kit, the time and wood investment in making them is very small. That allows having some fun with the finish. I've seen some wonderfully painted patterns or pictures on chopsticks with a natural lacquer finish over the top. Usually a Japanese natural lacquer called Urushi. It's supposed to be quite difficult to use well, but I'd like to give it a try some time. If you see a nice wooden, miso soup bowl in Japan, it's usually got a Urushi finish.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-13-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I just finished mine with mineral oil - beautiful color, simple, and easily updated.
I expect that will be the go-to finish for me. I would like to make some with contrasting woods - maybe some ebony thrown in. Probably the best use of scraps I can think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
You're right, Steve. With this chopstick master kit, the time and wood investment in making them is very small. That allows having some fun with the finish. I've seen some wonderfully painted patterns or pictures on chopsticks with a natural lacquer finish over the top. Usually a Japanese natural lacquer called Urushi. It's supposed to be quite difficult to use well, but I'd like to give it a try some time. If you see a nice wooden, miso soup bowl in Japan, it's usually got a Urushi finish.
That must be the stuff I think of when remembering some of the really beautiful chopsticks I have seen. This could be fun.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

A guy could probably setup outside "Antiques Roadshow" and make some money providing to all the experts that forgot their sticks...

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 09-18-2015, 03:16 PM

I must be the Biggest Sucker on Earth!

I just ordered one and have no Idea why
Old 09-18-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clweed View Post
I must be the Biggest Sucker on Earth!

I just ordered one and have no Idea why
Well, at least you can have lots of oriental food gatherings, and invite lots of people
It has potential to be addictive, as some people are with pen making.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:50 PM
Administrator

As interesting as this sounds it's low on the money priority list. Is this something that will continue to be produced or a one time thing like happens at woodpecker?
Old 09-18-2015, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Most Bridge City stuff is limited-run, sometimes repeated, like the JMPv2. They rarely stock many extras after the runs. I think he produces a few extras to cover blems and spare parts, but when those are gone, you must wait for the next production run, if there is one.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 09-19-2015, 01:07 AM

I am in possession of one of the prototypes currently and can tell you that it is addictive and fun.

I've let a few of the ladies at work make sets and they were very excited to have made them. One of the ladies likes to give me a lot of attitude and crap(all in good fun,) but after she made a set of chopsticks thanked me at least four times!

I can turn out a set very quickly since I'm used to hand planing, but even the people who've never used a plane have no trouble getting perfect results.

I made a nice set Japanese style out of snakewood.
Attached Thumbnails
chopstick-master-announced-image.jpg