talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Default Honing guide

I see that Bridge City has announced that they're re-making their honing guide:

HG-1 Honing Guide - Sharpening - Tools - Bridge City Tool Works

This is a pretty cool product. I had one, but found that it didn't work well for chisels - not sure why. Most likely user error. In any case, I sold it. I'm regretting it now - I paid less than half what it costs now, and I bet it is great for plane blades (I didn't have many planes at the time). The micro-adjust is a particularly nice feature for dialing in the angle.

Like all their tools now, you have to pre-order. Check the web page for price and dates.

I can't remember: is this one of the Bridge City essentials?
Old 12-18-2012, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Honing guide

Clever setup gauge as well. Pricey item however. I'll stick with my $7.00 roller guide, plywood and strip setup gauge for now. I have to pick my battles. I have a jointer plane purchase to make. Besides, its too nice to roll around in a wet slurry of goo.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Peter,

You're right about not working with chisels really well. When you invert some chisels, there's no parallel edge to line up with the jig. Works great for plane blades though. I'd love to have just one does it all honing guide, but that doesn't appear to be the case..........
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

There is a solution for chisels, although it would take some fiddling. Use the BCTW center scribe to etch a line down the center of the back of the chisel. Use a DSS-6 to align the line perpendicular to the front edge of the jig. Now it should be at a perfect right angle for sharpening. This should also work on tapered chisels, like the Japanese variety and fishtails.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

LOL!

Actually, I've found that the cheapo Eclipse-like guide is perfect for chisels. I use the Veritas MKII for plane blades, though it's not my favorite.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:18 PM

The T-Square will be modified on this version so that it will accommodate a bevel edged chisel. Too bad you already sold yours Peter.

Michael
Old 12-19-2012, 12:09 AM

Michael,

Will the new "T" square design fit the first versions?

Thanks,
Rutager
Old 12-19-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
Michael,

Will the new "T" square design fit the first versions?

Thanks,
Rutager

It depends on how nice you are to me.

Man I have wanted to use the dancing red banana for a long time..
Old 12-19-2012, 12:32 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

[QUOTE=BridgeCityMike;83173]It depends on how nice you are to me.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOOXOXOXOXOXO Is that enough kissing up?
Old 12-19-2012, 12:48 AM

I try to be nice to you Michael, but it's really, really, difficult!

Actually, I'm super nice to everyone around this time of the year because I don't know which ones of you might be one of Santa's spies.

- Rutager