talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 11:26 PM

Default So How's Your New JMP Precision Fence?

Not exactly a stealth gloat, but I got mine up and running today. Cuts like a dream. The new style clamps really kick things up a notch - though I still need to figure out how the tenon arm works.

Already decided I need a second fence arm clamp.

One thing I would suggest, if BCTW would put together an assortment of spare tiny nuts, bolts, and washers for the fence, I would happily buy it. Spent some time on the garage floor with the Syslite chasing tiny parts today.

A word to the wise.... SWEEP YOUR FLOOR before starting assembly.

Great product though, looking forward to making some small drawers with it soon.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: So How's Your New JMP Precision Fence?

I got mine put on last night and am going to play a little this evening. I do think I need a second C-clamp, like the setups we had a WIA for cutting the claw on the earthquake detectors. I had ordered duplicates of the other two clamps already.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessecloud View Post

Not exactly a stealth gloat, but I got mine up and running today.
Even bigger gloat, I got two of them (thanks, Michael ).

I was part of the group that got to see the early drawings of this fence at Roger's studio back in June of 2011. I've also seen it demonstrated several times since then.

Yet, when I unpacked my own yesterday I was still impressed with the great design, precision, and over all quality construction of this product. I felt almost like I was seeing it for the first time.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:29 AM

Got mine installed and had ordered two of each clamp. Also got the tenoning attachment aligned and installed. Very nice setup.

I am wondering about cutting angles - dovetails or 45's as two examples and use of the fence. I can see opening up the space between the fences to tilt the blade but losing any 'backside support' or installing a backer board.

But what about angling the fence? Anyone tried to cut a set of 45's for a photo frame? Just curious how it will work till I explore more.

Neil
Old 12-07-2012, 03:17 AM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Even bigger gloat, I got two of them (thanks, Michael ).

I was part of the group that got to see the early drawings of this fence at Roger's studio back in June of 2011. I've also seen it demonstrated several times since then.

Yet, when I unpacked my own yesterday I was still impressed with the great design, precision, and over all quality construction of this product. I felt almost like I was seeing it for the first time.

Now you've got no excuse not to make something! Let's see a project, John!
Old 12-07-2012, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilc View Post
Got mine installed and had ordered two of each clamp. Also got the tenoning attachment aligned and installed. Very nice setup.

I am wondering about cutting angles - dovetails or 45's as two examples and use of the fence. I can see opening up the space between the fences to tilt the blade but losing any 'backside support' or installing a backer board.

But what about angling the fence? Anyone tried to cut a set of 45's for a photo frame? Just curious how it will work till I explore more.

Neil
Neil, I took off my new fence and put on the old trap fence to do some miters. I haven't yet separated the two halves of the fence. It scares me.

But it's going to have to be done some time...
Old 12-07-2012, 04:44 AM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

So what is everybody planning to do with their stock fences? Could they both be installed simultaneously for, say cutting mitres and 90-degree angles?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:44 AM

Chris,

I suppose you could mount both fence on one saw if your stock was thin; or you could just have several saws set up for different cuts!

Best,
Rutager
Old 12-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlairWoodworks View Post
So what is everybody planning to do with their stock fences? Could they both be installed simultaneously for, say cutting mitres and 90-degree angles?
Good idea, Chris! The old fence brackets can be mounted forward of the new fence. This configuration would limit stock width to about 2-1/2" for crosscutting and miters could be cut on the ends of pre-lengthened stock easily. This setup might work well for lap-miter joints. The cheek cuts would have to made on one of Rutager's other JMP-sw saws.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 12-08-2012, 04:08 AM

hmmmm,

I see all you "imperial" JMP'ers are having a grand time!

Basking in the Precision Glow!

Myself and Paul- Marcel are part of the "Metric Minority"

Ours will be arriving in January.
That should give me time to buff out the JMP tabletops.