talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 01:48 AM

Default Re: JMP questions

If I told you 2, would it surprise you?

I ordered 1 for a Pro and 1 for a SW, but, I will probably add 1 or 2 more to my order, or at the very least get a couple sets of the new mounts for my other saws.

The fences just work so well, it seems like a mis-step to not upgrade all of my JMPs.

-Rutager
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

I was thinking the same thing, Rutager. You'll just kick yourself if you don't have one for every saw.

And what about your table saw...?

Old 11-27-2012, 03:18 AM

Lucky dogs. I, on the other hand, have been forced to buy t-track and wonder about making a fence with that stuff that can more readily accept hold-downs, stops, etc.

First I bought the Kreg Precision trak system - I liked the stops, micro adjust, dual tapes and cursor. But there was no t-slots on the face.

Then I bought the heavy duty Kreg track, which is the same stuff as their bandsaw fence. T-track on the face, and top.

Now I bought some of the Magswitch extrusion. I like this stuff because there's track on the front and back, symmetrically laid out. I'm thinking this would make it easy to attach one fence at a 90 to another.

Still haven't figured out exactly how to do what I haven't figured out I want to do yet !

Has anybody done this sort of stuff with the JMP ?

Rutager, I thought about calling BCTW. I have, in the past, and one time someone offered to let me speak to John E to ask him my questions directly... I was too intimidated to do it.

I think I have decided I might not really want credit or the ability to lay-away with a place like BCTW !!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

Trust me: the Bridge City folks (it's really only John and Michael) are real folks, just like the rest of us. John would be happy to answer questions. And if you post particular questions here or on the BCTW forum, you'll likely get an answer directly from Michael (John doesn't do forums).

But feel free to call - John would be happy to help!

P.S. He purposely put those tapped holes in the table tops just for the sorts of things that you're thinking of.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:52 AM

As usual, Peter is only half right, Consuelo is really running the show at BCTW. Give a call and talk with her. Get the fence! With all the messing around, you'll still not have all the great features, this fence really does knock the saw up a couple more notches.

Peter,

Don't you worry about my table saw, I'm in talks with Michael to get just the piece I need to put on my slider.

Best,
Rutager
Old 11-27-2012, 02:41 PM

Poto - there's no doubt in my mind that John would be more than happy to have spoken to me - in fact, I'm sure that if that wasn't the case, Natasha (I think she was who I was speaking to ? ) would not have offered.

The situation reminds me of two:

I once needed some work done on an electric guitar. I was living in Los Angeles at the time, so I think I opened the phone book and called a place nearby. When I went to pick it up, I started looking at the clippings on the walls, and realized that the owner was guy that had worked on guitars for guys like Jeff Beck (for sure), Hendrix (I think) and/or Eric Clapton.

The guy at the counter told me that the owner wanted to see me. I was probably shaking as I walked to the shop and saw him working on my guitar. It never occurred to me that the big man would be touching a hack's guitar... and then he asked me to play it to see if I liked it. I couldn't do it

Another time, I went to a Stanley Jordan concert at the Catalina, a small venue in LA. He happens to be one of my guitar heros, along with Beck, Hendrix and George Benson. I worked up the guts to go to the green room between sets and ask him for an autograph, and a guy sitting with him asked if I played guitar. I didn't know where that was going, but could only stammer out "There's no way I can say I play guitar in this room".

Am I saying that to me John E. is a woodworking tool Jeff Beck or Stanley Jordan ? I'm not really sure what I was trying to say - but maybe that I see him as just as much a wizard in his domain as they are in theirs.

Now I'll go back to my hole and think about therapy for my man-crush and wonder about begging for pennies for a fence and DJ-2.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Well, Nuggy, you're right there: John E. is most definitely the Jeff Beck of woodworking tools. Okay, the Jeff Beck+Jimi+George+Eric+Eddie+...

But he's a heck of a nice guy, and pretty close to normal. Well, he's from Iowa. But we can't hold that against him.

Unfortunately Natasha is no longer at BCTW - you'll probably talk with Consuelo on the phone. Perhaps if you wrote out a script for talking to John, you wouldn't stutter or drool so much?

But seriously: if John will talk to the likes of Rutager, he'll talk to anyone!

Of course, you haven't met Rutager yet...

Old 11-29-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
With all the messing around, you'll still not have all the great features, this fence really does knock the saw up a couple more notches.
Rutager, you're probably right, but there's no getting around that it's still a lot of money - and that is my problem.

As I start thinking about even just replacing the fence with an aluminum one (allowing face and top-mounted jigs and such), I start realizing there are a lot more issues than there seemed at first blush. And that realization isn't really that surprising - really, more comforting - as John is clearly a smart guy and this is his livelihood.

For instance, if I had an aluminum fence I could cut out a slot for the blade - but the blade would only clear if it were at 90 degrees. Then the question is what do you do with an aluminum fence and an angled blade without having to create a large opening that would eliminate the ability to support smaller pieces ? With the wood fence, it's a non-issue.

Maybe the answer is to do as you did, and just make a wood fence and mill out t-slots. It's not as appealing to me as I do not have any powered tools where my JMP is. Maybe I could work something out where there was a replaceable wood insert that sits flush with an extrusion.

Honestly, I sit up at night looking through the 8020, Bosch Rexroth and McMaster Carr catalogs, then go to bed unable to sleep because I'm trying to work these things out !