talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Introducing: the CT-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Hey, I recently posted this photo of Fred at work :

Ha, I know that look. When thicknessing a special board, and everything is going perfectly, full length curlies, the 'swish' as the blade slices another shaving, really enjoyable. Then the realization you should have stopped and checked the board thickness about five minutes ago.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Ha, I know that look. When thicknessing a special board, and everything is going perfectly, full length curlies, the 'swish' as the blade slices another shaving, really enjoyable. Then the realization you should have stopped and checked the board thickness about five minutes ago.

BTDT!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

Well, John's back from his Italian jaunt, and kindly took the time to actually allow us to purchase the CT-18. Here's the blog entry with the details about the plane - and the price: Pre-Orders for The CT-18 Dual/Low Angle Smoother are Now Open… - John's Blog | John's Blog

For a mere $1796 (curious price...) you get four planes in one: two blades, each having two bevels. That allows three cutting angles (40, 47 and 60 degrees) on the 12 degree bed. The fourth grind is a toothed blade for nasty figures.

I have to say, this looks like a seriously awesome piece of machinery. I can't imagine how he's keeping the price so low. My guess is that it's because the body and tote are cast, rather than milled from a solid billet like the CT-17 was. That probably saves a lot of material. But there must be a lot of clean-up work after the casting.

The CT-18 will be a 12-inch long, 6.7 lb smoother with an adjustable mouth. I'm thinking that I could get rid of a few of my other planes to offset the cost of this one. I'm betting it would be worth it!

P.S. Check out my guess as to the price back in April. I was close!

Last edited by Poto; 05-02-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:23 AM

I bit.

Beautiful plane.

Neil
Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 PM

I also placed an order; looks to be an awesome plane.

-Rutager
Old 05-03-2012, 06:04 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Beautiful too.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:28 AM

It is a beauty!
If I sold all my planes at full cost, it still wouldn't equal the price tag of this though that puts it in perspective for me.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:25 PM

Looks fast.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 PM

I am curious who is the mystery bidder is that is want their plane before Fred's. I am very much tempted to join the gamble... cept not to get a plane before Fred, but to see how far down the line I...xxx someone might be able to push Fred's order. Bonus points if his plane gets shipped last.

And since I am not actually ordering a plane, that does leave some wiggle room in the pocketbook for bribery.

I say, game on Fred... I have nothing in the order queue currently.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Well, speaking of that, Shawn, Fred only just got his HP-8s. I don't know what happened - whether someone was bribed to ensure that Fred's order got lost or something - but Rutager and Paul-Marcel had their planes at least a week before Fred. Fred had to call BCTW to find out where his order was.

Perhaps bribery is the key. Anyone want to admit that they pulled that one off?