talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 12:51 AM

Default My Tenonmakers Arrived!

My order just landed on the porch! I got two, one for the JMP and one for the table saw.

-Rutager
Attached Thumbnails
my-tenonmakers-arrived-tm-1-002.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-05-2011, 01:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: My Tenonmakers Arrived!

Same here. Got two today!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator

Awesome! Got some tenons hanging around that need mortises?
Old 03-05-2011, 03:29 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Mine arrived! Just one... I can't do much of anything with the left hand anyway.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:08 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Those look just like the two I ordered...
Old 08-23-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
My order just landed on the porch! I got two, one for the JMP and one for the table saw.

-Rutager
Okay, this rookie needs some help (and rookie is an understatement).

Watched the video on BCT's website. They showed the Tenonmaker being used with a shop built tenoning jig. After viewing several times, it finally made sense. But I can't quite see how one would use it with a store bought tenoning jig that rides in the miter slot, like the Delta or Jet. A few photos could really clarify.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 08:46 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

I don't have a commercial tenoning jig like that, but looking at pictures on Amazon, there is a way to adjust where the blade makes its cut. You'll need to make a reference surface somewhere so you know where to move the jig's body to make the second cuts.

I have a video user's guide to the KM-1 (KerfMaker) and they work on the same principle. In that video, I show how to use the KM-1 in a number of ways, all of which boil down to finding a reference surface from which you apply the offsets of the KM-1.

So for you with the TM-1, I'm thinking the video's MDF jig would help. As follows:
1. setup your first cheek cut
2. put the TM-1 against the back of the tenoning jig's fence, butt up the MDF jig, and lock it in place with a maglock. (no maglock? just use a square of MDF and clamp it in place with a quick-clamp)
3. remove TM-1 and make the cheek cut
4. flip the TM-1 and place it back between the tenoning jig's fence and the MDF 'fence' for the second cut
5. adjust the tenoning jig's fence until it just touches the TM-1
6. remove TM-1 and make the cut

it would be easier if you cut the leftmost cheek first (when you are looking at it in the tenoning jig) as that would be when you would want to place the TM-1 down in its longest position; then when you flip it, the TM-1 is in the shorter position so you can move the tenoning jig's fence to the left to touch it.

Good grief, if I had a tenoning jig, I could have shot this faster than explaining it hope it answered your question.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:17 AM

Paul,

Wow, your video really opened up a treasure trove of possibilities for me. I already have a Kerfmaker, which I have never used. It was one of those "round tuit" type of situations... Now I can't wait to start using it.

I just ordered a Tenonmaker. I already have a magswitch too, so everything should fall into place now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMarcel View Post
I don't have a commercial tenoning jig like that, but looking at pictures on Amazon, there is a way to adjust where the blade makes its cut. You'll need to make a reference surface somewhere so you know where to move the jig's body to make the second cuts.

Watch this: JET Tenoning Jig Review - YouTube

Good grief, if I had a tenoning jig, I could have shot this faster than explaining it hope it answered your question.
Yes indeed, Confuscius was right about pictures vs words. Except I think if Utube existed back then he might have said something like, "...a well executed short video is worth a million words."

Thank you so very much for cluing me in.