talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 01:16 AM

Default Prototype JMP Clamp

Hello All,

I received an email from John Economaki, President of BCTW during the holidays saying that he was mailing a JMP accessory to me to try out. He wouldn't say what it was because he wanted to see what I would use it for. When the package arrived my first thought was that it was part of a combination square! After I got a good look at it I realized that it was a stock hold down clamp, a very well made and beautiful hold down clamp!

I used it with the long leg on my stock for large stock and vice versa with smaller stock. This clamp doesn't let the stock move at all except when only using one clamp it can act as a pivot point, so I used one of the trap clamps on the far end to prevent any swivel. Now I just need to try and talk him into producing them so I can put them on all my Jointmakers!
Attached Thumbnails
prototype-jmp-clamp-jmp-proto-001.jpg   prototype-jmp-clamp-jmp-proto-002.jpg   prototype-jmp-clamp-jmp-proto-003.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Prototype JMP Clamp

Nice! That's a sweet-looking piece of work.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:44 AM

Rutager -

Is that clamp a lot different from these:

Woodworking Accessories - Woodpeckers Hold Down Clamp

Amazon.com: INCRA Build-It Hold Down Clamp: Home...Amazon.com: INCRA Build-It Hold Down Clamp: Home...

I have the Incra ones and they work well with my JMP.

Looks to be very similar. Curious what you see at the key difference?

neil

Last edited by neilc; 02-08-2011 at 04:46 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-08-2011, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Great design!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:30 PM

Hi Neil,

I don't own any of those, but do have a generic one and one from Rockler. The one difference between the BCTW version and all the others (besides being prettier and matching the JMP!) I've seen: is that the BCTW one is a bit taller and thinner. I don't know if that makes a big difference or not. I do find that I can clamp a bit closer to the blade with the thinner clamp. Of course another benefit is that it is made in America! and I believe that the Incra one is too, but all the others I've seen are made overseas.

-Rutager
Old 02-08-2011, 11:55 PM

Those are nice Rutager. I'd buy a couple...
Old 02-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameel View Post
Those are nice Rutager. I'd buy a couple...

Rutager,

I have to agree with Jameel as those are sweet clamps.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 02-09-2011, 12:04 AM

Hi Jameel,

Make sure you tell Economaki to make some! I know he thinks highly of you, in fact he specifically told me to talk with you at last summers hand tool event in Chicago, but I was too scared to go near that beautiful vise hardware, because I know I would need to get it!

-Rutager
Old 02-09-2011, 10:31 PM

Dang, I wish you had introduced yourself. I love your work.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:55 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Looks very handy indeed.