talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Prototype JMP Clamp

Thanks Jameel,

I'm planning on going to the WIA again this year, so I'll have to look you up. Maybe you could cover up the vises for me so I'm not tempted!

-Rutager
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:13 AM

I like the looks of that clamp. Have you tried it on your SW?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilc View Post
Rutager -

Is that clamp a lot different from these:

Woodworking Accessories - Woodpeckers Hold Down Clamp

Amazon.com: INCRA Build-It Hold Down Clamp: Home Improvement

I have the Incra ones and they work well with my JMP.

Looks to be very similar. Curious what you see at the key difference?

neil
I ran out and bought 3 of the Incras after seeing this. One thing I'm not wild about with them is that the bolt is 1/4-20 which has too small of a head for the slot. It works but I'd be happier if the bolt head was larger and had a better purchase beneath the table. I tried the obvious (a washer) but it made it so thick that I couldn't clear the underpinnings of the table. That would prove too cumbersome. I may try to find thinner washers or try to file some down. It'd be cooler to buy John's new ones......... I'm in.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:50 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
I ran out and bought 3 of the Incras after seeing this. One thing I'm not wild about with them is that the bolt is 1/4-20 which has too small of a head for the slot. It works but I'd be happier if the bolt head was larger and had a better purchase beneath the table. I tried the obvious (a washer) but it made it so thick that I couldn't clear the underpinnings of the table. That would prove too cumbersome. I may try to find thinner washers or try to file some down. It'd be cooler to buy John's new ones......... I'm in.
That's pretty much what I did with my Woodpecker clamps which are very similar. I filed down the width of the washers & brazed one to each of the bolts -- works just fine.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:05 PM

Hello,

JKC,

It works just as well on the SW!

Everyone,

I would also like to get some more of these and outfit all my Jointmakers; let's try and talk John into doing a run of these!

-Rutager
Old 02-27-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
let's try and talk John into doing a run of these
Okay, I'm up for that. What's the best strategy? Flood him with emails?
Old 02-27-2011, 10:20 PM

I like that self-leveling feature the convex/concave curves create (the orange/champagne interface). I really am not impressed with the quadrilateral wooden blocks supplied with the JMP-v2 as hold-downs; I find them quite a kludgy feature of an otherwise spectacular piece of engineering.

That set of curves I refer to, however, still allows only a single axis of leveling orientation. If it were a ball-and-socket interface, it would be multi-axis. Is that understandable, or have I confused Dear Reader?

Build 'em, John!

Last edited by AlaskaRanger; 02-27-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:18 PM

AlaskaRanger,

I completely understand the ball and socket design idea, but you would only get a benefit on a beveled work piece and even then, would it hold it down, or would the wedging cause the wood to slip out under force of cutting?

-Rutager
Old 02-28-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
You might try it with carriage bolts and file the round heads square to fit into the channels under the JMP table.

neil