talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Assembling the JMPv2

I started this on Friday night at about 9:00 p.m., thinking it couldn't be all that difficult. Then, I opened the box.....

And I haven't even dumped out all the hardware bags yet!!!

This will take more than mere wine and instructions to accomplish.

At about 10:45 and several shots of courage later, I had the keel assembled and the bearings burned in with my Festool C-12.

By midnight, it was starting to look like a JMPv2! I had skipped step one, assembling the end plates to the stretchers, until after the keel was assembled to save bench space in my crowded garage. It took a little longer than it should, because I put the trunions on the opposite end of where they should have been and installed the keel. No biggie, just undo and do it correctly. (Hint: there is a FRONT plate and a BACK plate)

I finished putting the slides and tables on and quit at 1:00 a.m. The following morning, I installed a blade, calibrated it to the tables, set the bevel gauge and cut some wood!

Such a happy looking tool!!

Tonight, I will assemble the stand and mount it. Wine might do for this task.
Attached Thumbnails
assembling-jmpv2-nov-10_118.jpg   assembling-jmpv2-nov-10_122.jpg   assembling-jmpv2-nov-10_125.jpg   assembling-jmpv2-nov-10_127.jpg   assembling-jmpv2-nov-10_128.jpg  

assembling-jmpv2-nov-10_129.jpg   assembling-jmpv2-nov-10_130.jpg   assembling-jmpv2-nov-10_131.jpg   assembling-jmpv2-nov-10_134.jpg  

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Assembling the JMPv2

Nice photos! Yay!

Quick note: You have the Trap jaws rotated, which probably worked fine, but to get the most out of the "trap", sandwich your stock between the Trap fence and the Trap side of the Jaws. There is a Square side too.
Attached Thumbnails
assembling-jmpv2-jaws.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Nice, Alex! Thanks so much for posting this. Is the box of Kleenex there in case you start to cry?
Old 12-07-2010, 06:40 PM

Good job Alex!

btw,
if you mount 180 or so sandpaper to the wooden clamps they will grip better.
I seem to remember that Michael has a video on this in the JMP section on the BCTW forum.

Hmmm,

Perhaps some green tea will be better suited for a tonic in a shop environment?
Old 12-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

I have some Mirka self-stick in several grits that I no longer use after getting Festool sanders; I knew I could use it for something someday.

Green tea is available during daylight hours, but this was late and I was fighting off a cold. Sipping Bourbon seems to work better in these circumstances. :sdrool: and no, I wasn't cross-eyed when I put the trunions in backwards!

@Mike, I was cutting some very narrow scrap just to see it cut, so the angle I used held better than using a long side of the traps. The visibility is also improved along the blade.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 12-07-2010, 07:19 PM

How handsome of John, Mike & co. to include with all those washers 'n stuff

some handy-looking Snap-On wrenches, a Leatherman yet!, that very very useful Kleenex box, a sure-to-find-work Jet DC.... and even that Maker's Mark!

Can't wait for mine to arrive....
Old 12-07-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaRanger View Post
How handsome of John, Mike & co. to include with all those washers 'n stuff

some handy-looking Snap-On wrenches, a Leatherman yet!, that very very useful Kleenex box, a sure-to-find-work Jet DC.... and even that Maker's Mark!

Can't wait for mine to arrive....
Will it arrive by dogsled?
That would probably be a first for BCTW!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 PM

LOL on the Makers Mark!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:18 PM

Mine just arrived! Yay!

(followed about 30 minutes later by a call from my bank wondering about a weird large payment to an IOWA reference and phone # - but since the $$amount was right and the letters BRDG were in it I figgered it is on the mark. Any idea, Mark or John?)

I have the box warming up by 70 degrees - to +60F - before I even start opeining anything....
Old 12-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

But, while it's still cold, you can just lick your fingers and stick them on the parts to pull them out!