talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Assembling the JMPv2

Mike,

The stands are very well made; stable and sturdy. The only issue you might have is "walking," the back and forth motion of the table can move the saw/stand around a bit. There are many ways to stop this: plywood base as you suggested; a mat or rug; or you can put your foot on the bottom rung of the stand as you work(like sitting at a bar!)

-Rutager
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
I haven't heard much discussion about the stand. I wound up ordering one and I want to know if it's super stable or does it need to be bolted down? I'm picturing a piece of plywood big enough to bolt it to and also stand on. Is it needed, or is the stand enough?

Mike
I put my stand together and if you follow the directions, it is rock-solid. You assemble it finger tight and mount the JMP directly to it. THEN you tighten all the nuts on the carriage bolts. I set mine at the highest level and it si still as solid as can be. That is done by adjusting the four leg extensions to the same extension, maintaining the angle of the top.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-12-2010, 04:28 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

So, it seems like there have been some good suggestions on what to use with the JMP from the likes of Roger in this thread... would be nice to extract those to a new thread entitled "Care and Feeding of the JMPv2"

Anyway, I've been tinkering with mine between other much more mundane tasks (like installing molding right after this posting...) I don't have the cool clamps Roger suggested though they are on the short list. Instead, I use my one Kreg clamp. This is a lot like welder's clamps (I believe). Very quick to put on, holds like nobody's business. I plan on putting turner's tape on the heads and affixing cork to them just for good measure.

assembling-jmpv2-img_1772.jpg

P.S., typing this on my Apple wireless keyboard using the wireless magic trackpad on my Windows 7 box that's in the shop (well, monitor and webcam are; computer is in the second-floor spare bedroom ) Wonderful having a keyboard 1/3 the size of a regular wired keyboard an NO WIRES to get tangled up on the tangle always on my bench...
Old 12-12-2010, 07:15 AM

Paul,

I agree with your earlier comment regarding dedicated bar stools ( & bar) to discuss JMP techniques. (with Bridge City Mike hopping over on occasion to tend bar)

Regarding your moulding project, you might consider setting up a surface about four feet away to the left, (let's say) that's coplanar to the table top surface of your JMP. To act as an outrigger for your long stock. The tipy top surface need only be about an inch wide (in order to defer friction) and about the same length as the JMP, made of lets say plexiglass. (waxed and buffed!)
This will help keep your long lengths from stressing out the clamps on your table.

cheers,
roger
Old 12-13-2010, 09:46 PM

By the way, although this comes as no surprise, inasmuch this is a company that outsources to Montana for the creation of its drill bits -

but I notice that the allen wrenches that come with the JMP for its assembly -

are the Real Thing - genuine Allen Co., made in U.S.A.

There are few good hex wrenches out there. Most of the cr*p is pot steel that pretzels to a fine steel spiral when you need to wank down (that's an industry term...). I've also got some German Cr-Va steel hexies, but somehow THIS one I couldn't seem to use on the JMP:

btw, that 27mm monster for some of my heavy equipment, like the Pisten Bully...

Anyway, more kudos to BCTW for supplying us with the Good Stuff!
Old 12-14-2010, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

I've got a set of Snap-on T-handle ball-tips that are great for adjusting the keel. You can reach straight down from above the tables. Snap-on is guaranteed forever.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 09-28-2011, 11:26 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
Now I am REALLY looking forward to getting my JMP -- I had no idea they include a bottle of Maker's Mark in the box!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

I gather that the Kleenex is included for those that read the directions after they mistakenly assemble something in the wrong order...
Old 09-29-2011, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator

And the rubber gloves...?
Old 09-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

This is a surgical procedure.