talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Assembling the JMPv2

I was eyeballing with one of the table's slits, and it also worked pretty well.... but harkening to Roger's post, maybe if we each order one gross of BCTW rules, we can get, say, a 5% discount off list?

Just a bit more seriously, playing cards are extremely precise shims. I think they're 0.10 or 0.11 or 0.12" - will have to head to the shop to measure them - and, although I suspect some of you suspect I'm not playing with a full deck, I really truly in fact do have 52 of 'em and taking out 3 or 4 or 5 at a time should work perfectly.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-11-2010, 09:24 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaRanger View Post
I was eyeballing with one of the table's slits, and it also worked pretty well.... but harkening to Roger's post, maybe if we each order one gross of BCTW rules, we can get, say, a 5% discount off list?

Just a bit more seriously, playing cards are extremely precise shims. I think they're 0.10 or 0.11 or 0.12" - will have to head to the shop to measure them - and, although I suspect some of you suspect I'm not playing with a full deck, I really truly in fact do have 52 of 'em and taking out 3 or 4 or 5 at a time should work perfectly.
I think NOT.-- Maybe .010" or .011" or .012"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-11-2010, 09:28 PM

On edit: addition trumps subtraction. So here's my idea: make one shim out of, say, two playing cards, one out of three, one out of four, and one out of 5. Adding any combination of those shims between your stop and your workpiece and you can precisely get every multiple of 0.25mm (the thickness I found by googling, which also =.0098") from 0.25mm up to 0.25 x (1+2+3+4+5) = 3.75mm, or .147"

Playing cards are famous for precision - each card's thickness consistently the same as all others in that pack - but I'm not vouching for accuracy - that is, each manufacturer's cards having the same thickness as any other. So if you try this method, do a bulk measurement of your shims rather than relying on those above numbers.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
I think NOT.-- Maybe .010" or .011" or .012"
Oh. It mustabeen those plywood playing cards we use here....
Old 12-11-2010, 09:34 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Oh. It mustabeen those plywood playing cards we use here....
Everything is made tougher in Alaska...
Old 12-11-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
...rather than relying on those above numbers.
esp. as Ron just pointed out, I've trouble placing my own point where it pointedly needs to go!

BTW, as soon as I finish making my JMP stand, I'll bring out the Kerfmaker and see if isn't up to this particular task.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:

Hmmm,

Can you rephrase that in a Limerick?
Old 12-11-2010, 10:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Since I'm chomping at the bit to get my JMP sent to me, I'm living through your experiences. Hopefully we'll be through all this doctor stuff and headed back to the beach next week. As soon as I know, I can call to get it shipped. I haven't heard much discussion about the stand. I wound up ordering one and I want to know if it's super stable or does it need to be bolted down? I'm picturing a piece of plywood big enough to bolt it to and also stand on. Is it needed, or is the stand enough?

Mike
Old 12-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post

... I want to know if it's super stable or does it need to be bolted down? I'm picturing a piece of plywood big enough to bolt it to and also stand on. Is it needed, or is the stand enough?
You might think about setting it in a heavy concrete slab.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSavatteri View Post
Can you rephrase that?
You, Sir, are an agent provocateur and I am no longer desirous of your acquaintance.