talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 03:50 AM

Default Ranger's Methodology

HERE is how I keep sanity when performing what are, to me, complex assemblies:

That's a blister pack that used to hold apples. Does a skookum job of keeping Little Parts organized and from getting lost. Here's another shop shot:
with the requisite Denali Highway Assembly-Easement-Equipment standing just in the background:sdrool:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-08-2010, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Assembling the JMPv2

Nice (love the MFT, etc., in te background).

I've always found that masking tape is great for keeping small parts from moving. Just put a double strip (glue side out on both faces) on a workbench, and stick things to it.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I did have 8 washers left over. They were not on the parts list, nor referenced in the instructions. I got the stand assembled and under the JMP this evening. I was short two carriage bolts and a nut, long one washer. Fortunately, I had some 2" bolts and a nut in the right size to finish the stand. I checked my calibration and it was off by about .020" when mounted on the stand. So I tuned it in again. Now I have to make something....

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:09 AM

....three hours later....

spine is assembled and really smooooooooth up and down....

but SWISO says it's movie time so gotta quit for the night!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Administrator

I quote myself from another thread:

"... even though I've playing around with demo JMPs for a couple of years, seeing it unassembled has given me a much better idea of the quality and precision of this machine."

As you guys assemble these things, what are your impressions of how they're built?

Old 12-08-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
I did have 8 washers left over. They were not on the parts list, nor referenced in the instructions. I got the stand assembled and under the JMP this evening. I was short two carriage bolts and a nut, long one washer. Fortunately, I had some 2" bolts and a nut in the right size to finish the stand. I checked my calibration and it was off by about .020" when mounted on the stand. So I tuned it in again. Now I have to make something....
Glad you were able to get the stand together. Sorry about the hardware mis-count. Counting is not our specialty. We did double check by weighing too...this does not make me happy.

I can send you the correct parts, though I can't find Wonderwino in our customer database. Could you PM me your info?
Thanks!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:12 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

BCM, I am checking your website every few hours for the Angle Master Pro v2 pre-order information. So far no luck, when is it going up?

EDIT: It just occurred to me that ordering it sooner won't get it to me any faster... )

Last edited by RONWEN; 12-08-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

... It just occurred to me that ordering it sooner won't get it to me any faster... )

There's also no need to worry about getting one, they'll build one for everyone who orders.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:46 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Quality-wise, I love this JMP. Everything seems to be so exact. For example, setting up the keel and the blocks holding the gear mechanism, the pieces are dead flush with the keel's main aluminum shaft. No screws grind or groan on the way in and finger-tight can hold parts solidly (but you tighten anyway!). Screws, too, have no play like some screwed-together products. Solid solid solid.

I've been getting next to no time at night to assemble mine so it ended up taking 3 evenings usually between 3am and 4am each time. -groan- But, last night I have it done. Only issue is the lateral play of the part that holds the blade. I followed the video posted here, but I either get binding or way too much play. There are shims available to correct this and I'll have to tinker with those next 3am.

Watch the video John made (and Mike posted here) of assembling the keel. It is a bit different than the manual, but much easier. Also, realize that the bag of 3/4" cap head screws includes just 4 that are 5/8". I missed that and put those 5/8" ones in not even noticing the different length and had to do some disassembly to fish them out.

I ordered a 5-pack of replacement blades and they shipped. Now the race is to see if I get this setup and calibrated before the blades arrive!! (no, i didn't ding up my main blade; just don't want to have to wait after I do ding it up)
Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 PM

It's an effort not to write this in a limerick rhyme scheme

First impressions are that it is a joy to be the final assembler of parts that so obviously are manufactured with care and precision, as well as of machinery that was created with ingenuity. So much so that it is easy for me - and, I dare say, others - to step back after finishing and convince myself that "Gee - I made that!".... when of course screw-tightening and bolt-wrenching does not a Master Machiner make. So 99.44% of the credit goes to the BCTW team.

But I'll still take the other 99.44% of the credit.....

IMPORTANT: I would with utmost gravity strongly urge all who are receiving the JPM to request it in unassembled fashion; first to enjoy the wonderful feeling of having put it in its final shape (but maybe that's just me, or at least not a wholly universal desideratum), but second and at least as important, so that one obtains an excellent understanding of how this machine works and why this mechanism works thusly.

I'll be sending Mike my read of the assembly manual, and my specific experience. There are a few glitches, some of which they surely already know about and others might be unique to my particular bag o' parts, and those aren't worthy of open discussion. If he/they find some of my comments of a universal nature, perhaps they could be incorporated into new printings of the manual... I don't have a good concept of the overall planned production runs.

What I would share is that during last night's assembly of the keel, I found that liberal use of a mechanic's square assisted me greatly - in particular, in aligning the axle supports (a set-up triangle would have worked equally as well or better but I haven't one). Likewise, I had my digital caliper in hand a LOT.