talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 10:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Stand for JMP

I'm waiting for my JMP and wondering about the stand. I'm trying to shrink my shop requirements and I want to cut back on things that use up floor space (or any other space for that matter). Does anyone regret not having gotten the stand?

Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Stand for JMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post

Does anyone regret not having gotten the stand?
Stand? We're all still waiting for our JMPs.

Except Roger of course, and he uses an MFT (clamped firmly to the wall).
Old 09-09-2010, 01:29 AM

Mike,

The JMP really needs to be a bit lower then a typical workbench height and at a slight slant, it also needs to be very secure due to the back and forth motions. So unless you have something in your shop already that will work, I highly recommend the stand.

-Rutager
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:14 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
Mike,

The JMP really needs to be a bit lower then a typical workbench height and at a slight slant, it also needs to be very secure due to the back and forth motions. So unless you have something in your shop already that will work, I highly recommend the stand.

-Rutager
Bummer for me in terms of space, but thanks for the advice. I'll order one right now. Thanks.

Mike
Old 09-09-2010, 04:57 AM

I use my JMP on a rolling table about two inches lower than my MFT/3 and am pretty happy with it. I do not leave it set up all the time but store it on a shelf below the MFT table. I clamp to the rolling table with two clamps and the table has locking swivel casters. I think it depends on how much you use the JMp and the size of the material you are cutting. Larger crosscuts will exert more pressure and the lower table or stand could help. But I did not have the shop space for a stand.

Neil
Old 09-11-2010, 12:33 AM

Mike,

I currently have a JMP pro with the stand, but have ordered a JMP-sw also, and wasn't going to get a stand for it, but decided that it just made since to use the factory stand. The stands are very well made and height adjustable too. I also have space issues, so I bought a close out HTC adjustable mobile base for it, and it works very well for rolling it out of the way. One note about mobile bases is: The stand flares out, so it's footprint changes based on the height you set it at. I had to modify my mobile base slightly to make it work.

-Rutager
Old 12-01-2010, 01:10 AM

Well, I just spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Natasha, and finally decided to hold off on a stand until I could get some input from youz allz....

I guess I'd better call her back!

- and I should have posted a certain prior thread here, and not up on "non-Festool Tools", but I haven't figured out how to change thread locations.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaRanger View Post

- and I should have posted a certain prior thread here, and not up on "non-Festool Tools", but I haven't figured out how to change thread locations.
That's what I'm here for.

I didn't order the stand either. I thought I'd wait and see how things worked out first.

I like Roger's setup on a MFT 1080, clamped tightly to the wall. These things do tend to move quite a bit.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:49 AM

Hi Folks,

I slowly sorta coming back.
So I guess we're not talking about slinkies today.

So it's Jmp stands.

Well first order, MFT tables - by themselves are not stable enough for the movement you will experience when using it.

Most of us have MFT's, the older version (800 & 1080 series) is the best to incorporate it as a stand for the JMP (whatever version)
The newer MFT is probably a tad too high for the proper ergonomic stance for the JMP.

The trick as John has stated above is to lock the table to the wall as I show in various photos below, and use blocks to raise the JMP in the rear.
(held to the table with the Festool clamps into slotted wood MDF block.

Not as sexy as the BCTW stand, but highly functional.

Personally I prefer the 800 table as you see it in the first and third photos. The bar on the bottom is a good foot rest to use while working away.

One could always put a shelf on the bottom to place the JMP while not in use - and have access to the table.

Linking two MFT's together to use as an outrigger for long stock is also a down the road option, but that's another whole topic, I'm sure we will get into sooner than later.

JMP at home.

The latest rig for holding the JMP to the MFT 800.

Last edited by RogerSavatteri; 12-01-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:16 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Welcome back, Roger

Okay, I have to ask why there's a modeler's table saw near the JMP.... do they fight?