talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 05:36 PM

Default Drill and Driver kit for CT-16

I just this morning received the drill/driver kit associated with the CT-16 brace. I ordered it on its own, without the brace . . . I don't have any good reason to have another small brace but I'm always on the lookout for bits that will (1) fit my hand drills and smaller braces and (2) not dissolve before my eyes. I had high hopes for this very comprehensive BC set and they've turned out to have been totally realized. They fit all the tools they need to fit without a hitch and I have great confidence in their build quality. All you CT-16ers out there will be really pleased with them.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:50 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Drill and Driver kit for CT-16

They have 1/4' hex shanks right? Are there adapters or some other feature that makes them particularly well suited for bit braces or hand drills? Is there something to make them fit Yankee push drills etc?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:28 PM

Right, standard quarter inch hex shanks. But what I was looking for was specifically something that would work well with small drills and very small braces and these function just fine as-is under those particular conditions. I use a bunch of braces all the way up to 14" and I have a stock of Jennings and Irwin bits for them. But for a long time I've had trouble finding suitable well-made smaller bits for hand drills and small braces like the ones I was showing here--a Millers Falls No 2 drill and a Peck, Stowe, and Wilcox 6" brace. As you can see the shank protrudes just slightly from the drill chuck but is still firmly fixed in place and the small brace jaws wrap around the quarter inch shank and hold it firmly. My own sad experience within the last several years has been that your average offshore bit will either arrive out of spec and not fit properly from the beginning, will break within an hour or so, or both. I've already run some tests with these bits and No 2 and No 5 MF drills along with the PS&W brace and they've worked encouragingly smoothly, even though I'm sure they and the CT-16 were optimized just for each other. Anyway, the possibility that I've finally wound up with a full set of smaller drill bits that will last for a good long time sorta got me all excited (you can see what a dull life I lead).Regarding Yankee push drill and drivers, I was just this morning looking at an adapter that comes out of Germany to convert the weird Yankee chuck to 1/4" hex. It costs less than $20 and I think I'm going to invest in a couple of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough
They have 1/4' hex shanks right? Are there adapters or some other feature that makes them particularly well suited for bit braces or hand drills? Is there something to make them fit Yankee push drills etc?
Old 04-27-2010, 07:07 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
I have these: Hex Adapter for Yankee Screwdrivers - Lee Valley Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlarm View Post
Right, standard quarter inch hex shanks. But what I was looking for was specifically something that would work well with small drills and very small braces and these function just fine as-is under those particular conditions. I use a bunch of braces all the way up to 14" and I have a stock of Jennings and Irwin bits for them. But for a long time I've had trouble finding suitable well-made smaller bits for hand drills and small braces like the ones I was showing here--a Millers Falls No 2 drill and a Peck, Stowe, and Wilcox 6" brace. As you can see the shank protrudes just slightly from the drill chuck but is still firmly fixed in place and the small brace jaws wrap around the quarter inch shank and hold it firmly. My own sad experience within the last several years has been that your average offshore bit will either arrive out of spec and not fit properly from the beginning, will break within an hour or so, or both. I've already run some tests with these bits and No 2 and No 5 MF drills along with the PS&W brace and they've worked encouragingly smoothly, even though I'm sure they and the CT-16 were optimized just for each other. Anyway, the possibility that I've finally wound up with a full set of smaller drill bits that will last for a good long time sorta got me all excited (you can see what a dull life I lead).Regarding Yankee push drill and drivers, I was just this morning looking at an adapter that comes out of Germany to convert the weird Yankee chuck to 1/4" hex. It costs less than $20 and I think I'm going to invest in a couple of them.
I bought something like that about twenty years ago from Garrett Wade (it was made in W. Germany ) but it only fits a small push drill that they also sold. I'll have to check out the adapter Lee Valley sells. (Thanks Ron)

You have to admire the skill of workmen fifty years ago who used Yankee screwdrivers when the only screws available were slotted. As soon as cordless drills came out I bailed out of the Yankees, too many gouged surfaces from the bit slipping out of the slot, even when using Phillips screws.

The Yankee screwdriver and Robertson or Torx screws would be a great combination.

Last edited by MichaelKellough; 04-27-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 PM

These are the German adapters I was looking at this morning. They were in the Spring Traditional Woodworker catalog . . .

Traditional Woodworker - Yankee Style Screwdrivers and Push Drills

In the meantime I found what appear to be the same adapters at Highland Woodworking . . .

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/s...pterlarge.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
I bought something like that about twenty years ago from Garrett Wade (it was made in W. Germany ) but it only fits a small push drill that they also sold. I'll have to check out the adapter Lee Valley sells. (Thanks Ron)

You have to admire the skill of workmen fifty years ago who used Yankee screwdrivers when the only screws available were slotted. As soon as cordless drills came out I bailed out of the Yankees, too many gouged surfaces from the bit slipping out of the slot, even when using Phillips screws.

The Yankee screwdriver and Robertson or Torx screws would be a great combination.

Last edited by controlarm; 04-27-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:11 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
My hand drills and smaller braces.
What model & throw is your small brace? -- Very nice! I've accumulated a dozen Miller 2A & 5's and four 2101A's (8" & 10").

Last edited by RONWEN; 04-28-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:24 PM

Ron . . .

I guess this thread has sorta run off the Bridge City tracks . . . probably should've been on the "Other non-Festool tools" list, but I just didn't anticipate it going off in this direction. I apologize to the Bridge City folk.

Anyway, the small brace is a Peck, Stowe, and Wilcox 6" Model 59-1/2. It's my smallest brace and it actually gets used for driving screws more often than for drilling holes. It's from around 1910 (my great-grandfather bought it) and has given good service ever since. PS&W were in Connecticut and haven't existed for sixty years or so. This is the brace that I use for the kind of jobs that the CT-16 was meant for.

A DOZEN Millers Falls 2As and 5s? Man, I guess you never have to change bits . . . just reach for another drill. I use ONE No2 and ONE No5 (I've learned to live with having to actually change bits from time to time). I use 8, 10, 12, and 14 inch braces from North Brothers (all 2101s), a 12" Stanley 923 that's set up for a special purpose, a Stanley 982 corner brace that comes in handy now and then, and a Fray Spofford brace that's the only one that can deal with a few weird old bits that get used from time to time.

So I'm pretty much braced out. Couldn't justify the CT-16. It's a beautiful tool, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
What model & throw is your small brace? -- Very nice! I've accumulated a dozen Miller 2A & 5's and four 2101A's (8" & 10").

Last edited by controlarm; 04-28-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Ron . . .

I guess this thread has sorta run off the Bridge City tracks . . . probably should've been on the "Other non-Festool tools" list, but I just didn't anticipate it going off in this direction. I apologize to the Bridge City folk.

Anyway, the small brace is a Peck, Stowe, and Wilcox 6" Model 59-1/2. It's my smallest brace and it actually gets used for driving screws more often than for drilling holes. It's from around 1910 (my great-grandfather bought it) and has given good service ever since. PS&W were in Connecticut and haven't existed for sixty years or so. This is the brace that I use for the kind of jobs that the CT-16 was meant for.

A DOZEN Millers Falls 2As and 5s? Man, I guess you never have to change bits . . . just reach for another drill. I use ONE No2 and ONE No5 (I've learned to live with having to actually change bits from time to time). I use 8, 10, 12, and 14 inch braces from North Brothers (all 2101s), a 12" Stanley 923 that's set up for a special purpose, a Stanley 982 corner brace that comes in handy now and then, and a Fray Spofford brace that's the only one that can deal with a few weird old bits that get used from time to time.

So I'm pretty much braced out. Couldn't justify the CT-16. It's a beautiful tool, though.
Oh come on you know in another 80 years your definitely going to buy one and it's gonna be a lot harder to find.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:

By my nature, I really LIKE tools. Both power and hand tools...new tools but probably even more OLD hand tools. I enjoy giving them a second or third life, thinking about who might have owned them when new and what they may have been used to build ~100 years ago. Braces & eggbeaters really do give you better control, transmitting a feel for what is happening at the bit tip.
Fray Spofford brace? Wow, that could be more on the order of ~150 years old!!! I have no doubts at all that there will be CT-16's around 150 years from now...
Perhaps my drill collection will reach the proportions Scotty Fulton's hammer collection??? http://www.flickr.com/photos/etherfa...16148611/show/ (From Roger's thread)

Last edited by RONWEN; 04-28-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Tags
ual