talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Default Re: The Bridge City CT-17 tool announcement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSavatteri View Post

John, thanks for the detailed "explanation".
You forgot "excruciating".
Old 04-18-2010, 06:20 PM

OK, a third item!

A2 is also preferred over O1 by manufacturers because it is a more relaible steel to use. In particular, it warps less when heat treated. Therefore less clean up and less come backs.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 04-18-2010, 06:47 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

My simple question is "why set BCT to task chasing their tails trying to provide multiple alloys & grinds"? We are after all talking about a block plane not a smoother intended to cut acres of timber. If a different grind angle is preferred everyone has the capability of making the change in their own workshops. A2 is a long time proven edge retention alloy for plane irons. In a small manufacturing business (BCT) multiple inventory variants are black ink killers. I'm hearing votes for 4 or 5 iron alloys in at least two different sets of grind angles. Please don't forget to cryogenically treat my iron Michael.

EDIT: I've just re-read BCT's maxim: “It must be useful, it must work dependably, it must be beautiful, it must last, it must be the best of it’s kind.” Based on that I guess "the best" is going to mean different alloys/grinds for different people so I stand corrected, they should offer what is the best to each person.

Last edited by RONWEN; 04-18-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:55 AM

So,
Cooter Ditchman just emailed us. He requested that we sell a 6061 Aluminum blade to go with the CT-17. He said that he wanted it for the weight savings.

Last edited by BridgeCityMike; 04-20-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-20-2010, 01:35 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

It would probably be a good idea to hard anodize it Michael.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe you should make his with a wooden blade. And give him a free bass plug to go with it.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:34 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Maybe you should make his with a wooden blade. And give him a free bass plug to go with it.
The safe version.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

If you check out John Economaki's blog (Bridge City Tools Behind the Scenes) you can see the stereolithography model that John had made up of the CT-17. It's the same one that I got to play with (I think, though he may have had another made to the final form of the CT-17, which changed a bit after I saw it in February). It's pretty cool - a great way to test the size and feel of the tool.

You can also see the influence of John's new obsession with model helicopters.

You may have noticed that the blade-clamping system obviates the need for a cross-pin joining the two sides of the plane. This cross-pin would normally be a fulcrum for the lever cap (or whatever it might be called) that puts pressure on the blade. With John's mechanism, the pressure is applied through a fulcrum that is incorporated into the bed of the plane, rather than the sides. You've gotta admit - it's a pretty cool system!

P.S. John also gives the answers to all the clues he posted...
Old 04-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

By the way, John also gives the specs for the CT-17. In reading them I discovered that I was wrong: there is no black chrooome on the plane. The palm rest is polished, not chromed.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:34 PM

But if you really want to be on the cutting edge of cutting edges, you just absolutely have to have your irons made from that cat's pajamas of ferrous metal alloys, S53 steel. Way, way, longer lasting than A2 (but don't ask me about sharpening unless I'm in a really good mood).

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekcohen View Post
OK, a third item!

A2 is also preferred over O1 by manufacturers because it is a more relaible steel to use. In particular, it warps less when heat treated. Therefore less clean up and less come backs.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Last edited by controlarm; 04-20-2010 at 08:37 PM.