talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 08:29 PM

Default Re: The Bridge City CT-17 tool announcement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgeCityMike View Post

About the angles ground on the iron:
John will be having a poll on his blog to see if more people prefer one iron grind more than another. He might even talk about the A2 and O1 steel choice, and I know a few of you know about D2 as well.

Michael
Mike I would actually like to see M2, but did not mention it because I did not think that there would be much other interest.

Regards,
Guy
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-17-2010, 04:06 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbeam View Post
Mike I would actually like to see M2, but did not mention it because I did not think that there would be much other interest.

Regards,
Guy
Mike,

I would second the M2 as well. Go ahead and let Peter gloat that he knew yada yada but I was the first to order and it has been verified by the mad genius himself.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-17-2010, 04:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post

I would second the M2 as well. Go ahead and let Peter gloat that he knew yada yada but I was the first to order and it has been verified by the mad genius himself.
I'll go with the M2 also.

But what I'm really waiting for is the announcement that Peter has placed his order. After all, it was he who whipped us all into a frenzie over this plane. Fair is fair.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:37 AM

hmmm,

could one of you plane guru's go into "excruciating" detail as to the benefits or not of the following types mentioned?

ie...... M2, D2 in comparison to the other two?

thanx.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

This should be fun...
Old 04-17-2010, 07:19 AM

Yes Fred, I filled John in on your order promptness. Nice job!

You know the difference between those steels? Not a hell of a lot.
You know what is in common with all those steels? They all cut wood.

Ok ok, sorry about the buzz kill. I know there are subtleties, and we are certainly ALL about that! So game on!

So, we'll certainly listen and explore the other options. As Roger implied, this could be fun!
Old 04-17-2010, 01:32 PM

Location: 41°N 79°W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Especially since we're talking for use in a small block plane???
Old 04-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Administrator

O-1 steel is a high carbon steel which gives razor sharp edges but dulls quicker than A2 Steel. O-1, like A2 has a 1% carbon content It has 1.35% manganese,.5% chromium,.35% silicon, and.5% tungsten.

A2 steel is almost a stainless steel. At (5%) it does not have quite enough chromium. It has 1% carbon,.6% Manganese, 1% molybdenum, and.2% Vanadium. It is not prone to rust. A2 steel is popular for blades because of its toughness. The toughness of the edge of the A2 steel is improved by cryogenically treating the blades at -320 degrees Fahrenheit. A2 steel is much harder than 0-1 carbon steel and although more difficult to sharpen, it keeps an edge longer. It performs best somewhere between 30 and 35 degrees. The problem with A2 steel is that it tends to fracture more easily when the bevel is ground less than 30 degrees. A2 is tougher than D2 and M2, but has less wear resistance.

D2 steel is a premium tool steel. With 1.5% carbon content It is better at holding an edge than less exotic stainless steels. D2 has a fairly high chromium content (11.5%) and is sometimes referred to as a “semi-stainless”. It is a well respected, air hardened, high carbon, high chromium tool steel. It has 1% molybdenum, and.9% vanadium. It possesses extremely high wear resistance properties. D2 steel produces one of the toughest blades you can get.

M2 Steel is a fine-grained molybdenum/tungsten high-speed tool steel. It has.85% carbon,.25% manganese, 4.2% chromium,.30% silicon, 5% molybdenum, 6.35% tungsten, and 1.9% vanadium. It is slightly tougher and more wear resistant than D2, however, M2 rusts more easily.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:03 PM

I can only afford the plastic prototype at this time IF I get the founders club discount. I wonder...Does it come with an A2 plastic blade? Or should I specify O-2 plastic?

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...
Old 04-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgeCityMike View Post
Yes Fred, I filled John in on your order promptness. Nice job!

You know the difference between those steels? Not a hell of a lot.
You know what is in common with all those steels? They all cut wood.

Ok ok, sorry about the buzz kill. I know there are subtleties, and we are certainly ALL about that! So game on!

So, we'll certainly listen and explore the other options. As Roger implied, this could be fun!
Michael,

I would have been about two minutes faster if I had remembered to login and was not on the phone with Mr. Raftery at the same time.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31