talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 02:15 AM

Default Re: The Bridge City CT-17 tool announcement!

Roger: I'm not sure about Peter, but I certainly had a hard time refraining from adding more taunts through the guessing process!

Michael
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-16-2010, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

Oh man - you can't imagine the pain. My only restraint was the threat of being banished for life. And that was a big one.

To Roger's credit, I looked at the first 5 or so clues, and I had no idea what they referred to. And I knew what the tool was. Deeply obscure.

By the way, check out this post (number 13) on John's blog back in February: Greetings from the Cloisters; Part Deux… | John's Blog

Here's the quote in case you don't feel like clicking on the link:
"pfranks Says:
February 4th, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Had another idea concerning “That (tool) Which You Will Not Discuss”: in looking at the ‘copter, and thinking about “cutting edge technology”, I’m guessing a super retro-sleek black chrome block plane. The front of the helicopter kind of looks like it could be the front of a block plane. With black chroooome insets…

- Peter"

I guessed the tool practically before John knew what it was. It was sooooo hard not to suggest that the people guessing what the tool was go back and read my earlier posts. No wonder I've been stressed at work lately!

This is one amazing tool. I'm so proud of you BCTW guys (and Natasha).
Old 04-16-2010, 12:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ForumMFG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSavatteri View Post
If you set the video at full screen and at 480p and freeze it you could do a screen shot.

.....For a screen shot on a Mac if you press the "Shift, Apple & 4" keys at the same time a cross comes up - as soon as you drag it over your image and release.....
Presto, it's on your desktop.

While we are on the subject for a screenshot on an Iphone - press the home button and then immediately touch down and release the on/off button up top and presto it's saved on your camera roll.

Thanks Roger, I took your advice for my Iphone!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-16-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
The price isn't bad considering the tremendous number of operations and the amount of very precise machining required.

I agree 100%. I was thinking $1500-$2000 based on the fact that it was all stainless steel and because of all the machining. I also grasp how large this item was going to be just by the pictures of the seperate parts. Anyway, I am really happy with the price.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgeCityMike View Post
Ok, here we go.
If you would like an image of the CT-17 you can download one here:

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/videos/CT17.jpg

Some browsers will just view it for you. In that case, this works too:

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/videos/CT17.zip

Yeehaw!
Michael
Thanks Mike!
Old 04-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

I was also thinking more along the lines of $1500, which would have unambiguously put it out of my price range. I'm still having trouble scraping together $860, but I'll see what I can do. Who needs vacation, after all?

When you look at all the milling operations, I think the price is pretty amazing. You take a solid block of stainless steel, and then cut most of it away. Who knows how you form that cool palm rest? And it's black chroooomed for extra beauty. And then all those small auxiliary parts. It's pretty amazing.

I got to hold a 3D model of a prototype in John's office when I visited in February. It's surprisingly comfortable in the hand - there are a lot of ways to hold it, both flat and perpendicular to a surface. It pulls well, too. It's one rockin' plane!
Old 04-16-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I was also thinking more along the lines of $1500, which would have unambiguously put it out of my price range. I'm still having trouble scraping together $860, but I'll see what I can do. Who needs vacation, after all?

When you look at all the milling operations, I think the price is pretty amazing. You take a solid block of stainless steel, and then cut most of it away. Who knows how you form that cool palm rest? And it's black chroooomed for extra beauty. And then all those small auxiliary parts. It's pretty amazing.

I got to hold a 3D model of a prototype in John's office when I visited in February. It's surprisingly comfortable in the hand - there are a lot of ways to hold it, both flat and perpendicular to a surface. It pulls well, too. It's one rockin' plane!
Do you have any idea of what the dimensions of it are? Also, when john makes these 3D models, I wonder if it weighs as much as the real thing?

Also, I didn't see where they are making the palm rest black chrome, is that confirmed?
Old 04-16-2010, 02:53 PM

Location: 41°N 79°W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

Poto, You know good & well that YOU are going to own one of those at any price even if you have to get a second (or third) mortgage -- you have had this gem cooking in your brain a lot longer than all of the rest of us.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Ron. John Economaki appreciates your support.

The model I saw was made of plastic, so presumably (!) weighed less than the stainless steel one. I would guess it'll weigh about the same as a LN or LV block plane, and is about the same size. Not the apron plane - the "regular" block planes.

As for the black chrooome (you have to say it right) on the palm rest, that's my speculation. I don't think that John ever told me that specifically. I'm mostly going by the gloss on the piece, and I could be wrong.

Did you see that if you order before May 3, you get an extra blade, free?
Old 04-16-2010, 04:14 PM

Location: 41°N 79°W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

May 3 won't work for me, I wonder if there is going to be a cut-off date?