talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Talking DJ-1 v.2

The DJ-1 I ordered last year has arrived! Quite impressive and in a much larger box than any of my other BCT goodies. It is similar in structure to the CS-2 only much larger.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-27-2010, 04:58 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel
Default Re: DJ-1 v.2

woot woot! Mine, too. Very nicely done. My only complaint would be that the holes for the guides are too deep so the guides fall way down and are difficult to fish out. ...but maybe that's cuz I'm trying to use mine instead of storing it for eventual cash-out on ebay

First thing I did with it was drill a bunch of 1/4" holes in dowels. So much easier. The holes have a use, not just shop practice, although claiming a 3/4" dowel with 5 1/4" holes in it and two wraps of red hockey tape is a fine woodworking project is dicey at best...

(it's a monopod for when I stream from the shop
Old 03-27-2010, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Yeah, the holes in the box seem to swallow the bushings. However, I have my well-worn Leathernman "Juice" pliers in my pocket which worked just fine to gently pull them out. Actually, the tight fit is a good thing, because if the box ever upsets, all the parts won't go scattering around the shop.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:29 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Just drop a few washers or cut-lengths of dowels in the holes to jack the bushings up to a convenient height.

Last edited by RONWEN; 03-27-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:54 PM

WorthlessWorthlessWorthlessWorthlessWorthlessWorth lessWorthlessWorthlessWorthlessWorthlessWorthlessW orthlessWorthlessWorthlessWorthlessWorthlessWorthl essWorthlessWorthlessWorthlessWorthlessWorthlessWo rthlessWorthlessWorthless

Worthless

I say
Old 03-27-2010, 04:32 PM

The shipping process seems to be compressing the foam plug in each hole. They should be flush. If you remove the bushing, then fish out the plug underneath it, you should be able to un-compress the foam plug.
Maybe remove everything and pull out the plugs from underneath.
It is a bummer when they are too deep to grab with fingers.

Have fun!
Old 03-27-2010, 05:23 PM

After procrastinating and bugging my better half, I ordered one of the left overs from the run. It was supposed to ship Friday, but I don't see that it has by looking at my account. It shipped on Friday.

In the meantime, Jay was right - we need pictures!

Peter

Last edited by plhalle; 03-27-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: corrected information
Old 03-27-2010, 07:28 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Mike,
Do you know when you are going to put the universal jaws up on your website? Price?

Last edited by RONWEN; 03-27-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:41 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Voil:

First, the box as unpacked:

dj-1-v-2-img_0772.jpg

The DJ-1 is larger than you'd expect, although I now wonder why I expected a tiny tinker toy Here's a picture with my tea mug and Blackberry for perspective:

dj-1-v-2-img_0773.jpg

The DJ-1 comes with extra jaws for angled drilling. The greens are 45, the blues 22.5... the universal jaws are the orange ones currently in the DJ-1:

dj-1-v-2-img_0774.jpg

Here's a shot of the DJ-1 with jaws wide open. A little over 10":

dj-1-v-2-img_0775.jpg

Let's not forget the Allen wrench!! (in black chrome... j/k):

dj-1-v-2-img_0776.jpg

The Allen wrench is used to change the jaws as you can see here:

dj-1-v-2-img_0778.jpg

You do get some alignment marks on the side of the bridge piece in the middle that holds the drilling guides. Certainly if you were drilling out a mortise, these would be very useful at the extremities.

First for the Americans:

dj-1-v-2-img_0779.jpg

Other side of the unit for everybody else:

dj-1-v-2-img_0780.jpg

The guides come packed in the box as well. This is what I was referring to when I said the guides tend to settle so far that you have a difficult time digging them out. I was thinking of getting a thin metal straw to plow out finger holds a little like you see by the auxiliary jaws in the first picture (those are actually so the registration pins on the jaws don't tear up the packing, but those half-circles would be great finger holds for the guides). Notice that you have 3 purchasing opportunities included with the 3 blanks!!

dj-1-v-2-img_0781.jpg

Lastly, a bad picture of the no-backlash mechanism... pulleys and stranded metal wire. It moves very smoothly...

dj-1-v-2-img_0782.jpg

The packed box is 10.25"x12.25" so it neatly fits in a Sys-1 You could remove the diced foam and put it in an aqua-blue Systainer-1 with small shims if you wanted it "to-go".

I already attached 10 pictures so I can't show you the one with my wallet coughing up dust.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:59 PM

I know what you mean by having finger notches in the foam to pull out the bushings. I designed some in there at first, but the bushings would dislodge while during shipping. So, I had to go with no finger notches.

No details on price and timeline of the Universal Jaws. We'll know shortly.