talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 05:05 AM

Default Re: DJ-1 v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Okay, so you can plane with a DJ-1 too...but,
can it "core-a-apple"?
actually,

with the new universal jaws ......New: DJ-1 Universal Jaws and Other BIG News… | John's Blog

Coring an apple would be possible.
Probably a brad point bit would be best, with a little cleaner handy when u are done.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-28-2010, 10:17 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post

Okay, so you can plane with a DJ-1 too...but,
can it "core-a-apple"?
DEAD CENTER...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:44 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Photos when I get the universal jaws
Old 03-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I finally had time to pull both tools out of their boxes to do some side-by-side pictures. They share a common aesthetic and mechanical principal.

Due to the larger jaw capacity of the DJ-1 over the CS-2, another useful accessory might be a bushing to hold a marking point or pencil so that wider timbers can be scribed. With the angle jaws, this would be handy on mitered mortises. Of course, then a mortise & tenon accessory like the CS-2 has would also be handy. You can build a whole system around this thing!
Attached Thumbnails
dj-1-v-2-sf-10_147.jpg   dj-1-v-2-sf-10_152.jpg   dj-1-v-2-sf-10_153.jpg   dj-1-v-2-sf-10_154.jpg   dj-1-v-2-sf-10_155.jpg  

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 03-29-2010, 10:23 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
I finally had time to pull both tools out of their boxes to do some side-by-side pictures. They share a common aesthetic and mechanical principal.

Due to the larger jaw capacity of the DJ-1 over the CS-2, another useful accessory might be a bushing to hold a marking point or pencil so that wider timbers can be scribed. With the angle jaws, this would be handy on mitered mortises. Of course, then a mortise & tenon accessory like the CS-2 has would also be handy. You can build a whole system around this thing!
That will be an easy accessory to make using your new DJ-1 & either a hardwood dowel or aluminum round stock -- you can custom drill the bore for your preferred pen/pencil and cross drill the bushing for a thumb screw.
Attached Thumbnails
dj-1-v-2-dj1-pencil-bushing.jpg  

Last edited by RONWEN; 03-31-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Re: DJ-1 v.2

I finallt got to try the DJ-1 last evening. For the first trial, I made a bushing to hold a pencil to convert it to a center scribe. This involved end drilling the 3/4" dowel to accomodate the pencil and then drilling and tapping a cross hole for the thumbscrew.

My first attempt didn't work very well. I just held the jig tight to the dowel as I tightened the set screws. This resulted in a somewhat wobbly setup, which allowed the jig to tilt slightly and spin on the dowel if not held in perfect alignment. When I cut that piece off, the hole was not centered at the bottom.

I tried again, this time securing the jig on the dowel with a small parallel clamp. This resulted in a rock-solid setup that worked great. I used the clamp method on the cross hole, too. I tapped it, cut off the dowel and had a bushing. I didn't like the .05mm pencil I tried first, so I re-jigged the dowel and bored it out to 3/8" to accomodate my GraphGear 500 .07mm pencil instead.

I easily drew a center line on a board beyond the capacity of the CS-2. I don't what I'm going to do with the board now, but the line sure came out great!
Attached Thumbnails
dj-1-v-2-april-10_009.jpg   dj-1-v-2-april-10_010.jpg   dj-1-v-2-april-10_007.jpg   dj-1-v-2-april-10_008.jpg   dj-1-v-2-april-10_011.jpg  

dj-1-v-2-april-10_012.jpg   dj-1-v-2-april-10_014.jpg  

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 04-03-2010, 07:20 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

0.5 _____________ 0.7

Or, as the Germans say, 0,5
Old 04-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Cool, Alex. So is the CS-2 going up on ebay?
Old 04-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Ya, Michael. I goofed by a few dozen hundreths of a mm. I meant cm.

No Peter, I will still use the CS-2 to split hairs.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:50 PM

I've gotten into the habit of always applying a clamp to the DJ-1, usually a spring clamp. With that I don't even bother locking the jig screws and it hasn't failed me yet.