talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 12:00 PM

Default Important News for Bridge City DJ-1 Owners......

Important News for Bridge City DJ-1 Owners...... or gonna be's,

Bridge City Tools Behind the Scenes

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Important News for Bridge City DJ-1 Owners......

I was watching you and Rutager give John advice on those jaws, Roger. Pretty amazing how they came out. I have to say that it makes the DJ-1 even more tempting. And with Rutager's vacuum system ... Wow!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:53 PM

Thank you for posting this Roger. I already had the CS2 centerscribe, and the DJ1 has on my list for awhile, but have held off because the need hasn't come up yet. I've also got some other work arounds, like a large industrial V-block with guides and bushings to center drill into round stock.

I had wanted the DJ1 to get precise center holes on the ends of round stock, not just for wood, but for various metal lathe work. But the DJ1 design also generates all kinds of ideas for other possibilities and uses. Specifically drilling at unlimited angles. And now with the new DJ1 universal jaws that you had input on, those potential uses would expand even more.

So when I had read the BCT blog that they had a few extras from the current DJ1 production run, I decided to pull the trigger. Also ordered the smaller 1/16th bushing to go with the existing DJ1 set. They now also offer bushings in metric.

I've been "downsizing" the big iron in my shop for awhile with Festool, so maybe one day I'll retire another of my larger power tools, in this case a 1950's Delta drill press. We'll see.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:24 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I often grab my DJ-i for jobs that I used to do at my drill press. As has always been true on the drill press, using a drill bushing allows for much more precise hole location -- the DJ-1 makes it much easier to locate those bushings for holes.

These new jaws appear to make it easier to position the DJ-1 for drilling angles which the DJ-1 (without these jaws) is a little difficult. I look forward to using them.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:25 AM

Roger -

Thanks for posting - I too was following the conversation in the BCTW forums. I'm amazed at how quickly the ideas evolved and John has put them into final form and production.

I have the DJ-1 and will be ordering these as well. Agree they add a lot of versatility.

neil
Old 03-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Nice, Roger! And it's great that John gave you and Rutager credit for helping develop the idea!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 03-18-2010, 03:21 PM

John is both a gentleman and a scholar.