talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Bridge City Tool Works (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/bridge-city-tool-works/)
-   -   What the heck is this? (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/bridge-city-tool-works/3091-what-heck.html)

ForumMFG 02-05-2010 12:08 PM

What the heck is this?

1 Attachment(s)
Take a look at the upper right hand corner of the photo. What the heck is this?! Looks interesting.

wnagle 02-05-2010 03:24 PM

Re: What the heck is this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pola0502ds (Post 45538)
Take a look at the upper right hand corner of the photo. What the heck is this?! Looks interesting.

Dave,

The upper right hand corner is a shoulder plane...but I bet you might really talking about the upper left hand corner. It is the angle master pro 6i, an instrument to measure angles very precisely and is a discontinued Item presently. However I believe he will be reintroducing a new version of it soon.

Shoulder plane
Bridge City Tool Works - CT-14 1-1/8" Foxtail Shoulder Plane

Angle master pro 6i
Bridge City Tool Works - AMP-6i Angle Master Pro 6i - AMP-6i Angle Master Pro 6i

Wonderwino 02-05-2010 03:24 PM

You mean the upper left? A digital micro-angle-finder, of course. Genious. Big eek

wnagle 02-05-2010 03:27 PM

I got to see the angle finder and play with it at the Austin Lie-Neilsen road show. Pretty cool. Not sure what I'd us it ofr other than checking my squares but it's still pretty cool.

ForumMFG 02-05-2010 04:17 PM

Thanks Wayne.

I guess I wasn't with it this morning. I bet they are going to make a new run thats modified because it does look a little different.

RogerSavatteri 02-06-2010 12:17 PM

Wayne,

That is the "new" version on the upper left.

Guys,

I posted a side by side photo here.......

http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/bridge...html#post45616

wnagle 02-06-2010 01:47 PM

Roger,

I wonder why the digital readout isn't engineered to give the ange on the readout instead of using a conversion chart?

MichaelKellough 02-06-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnagle (Post 45620)
Roger,

I wonder why the digital readout isn't engineered to give the ange on the readout instead of using a conversion chart?

Yeah, why do I have to do the trig? :stongue:

wnagle 02-06-2010 01:58 PM

Michael,

My motto...."give a lazy man a hard job and he'll show you how to make it easy"

RONWEN 02-06-2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnagle (Post 45620)
Roger,

It probably isn't cost effective to produce a linear measurement device (caliper) to display angularity for a very limited appeal market. Maybe one of the Wixey or igaging measuring devices could be made to work???

MichaelKellough 02-06-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RONWEN (Post 45628)
It probably isn't cost effective to produce a linear measurement device (caliper) to display angularity for a very limited appeal market. Maybe one of the Wixey or igaging measuring devices could be made to work???

Plus, it's not a linear measurement is it?
I mean the length of a 10* change at one end of the range
is different than the length of 10* at the other.

wnagle 02-06-2010 02:56 PM

Well the wixey would have to be designed differently than a linear wixey... A mechanical version for comparison would be osbornes eb3 miter gauge. It has detents uniquely spaced on the locking arm that correspond to different preset angles. Once 90 degrees is calibrated, all the detents, uniquely spaced instead of linear spacing, are accurate.

So the wixey would need to be designed to have 'digital' detents in a sense. It's just math and a little computer inside the wixey. Just need a smart engineer to reprogram the distances that correspond with the angles. Set the angle master to perfect 90... zero the wixey (one with the new non linear programing) and voila! Simple eh?

RONWEN 02-06-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelKellough (Post 45629)
Plus, it's not a linear measurement is it?
I mean the length of a 10* change at one end of the range
is different than the length of 10* at the other.

I don't have Solidworks loaded on my new PC yet to test that out but I believe you are correct.
It's a fascinating tool but it's too large for my purposes. A set of precision ground angle gages would be more useful (to me). I guess it might be great for a trim carpendar.