talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 PM

Default Bridge City Toolworks "Jointmaker Pro Upgrade" Review . . .

Here in the usually sunny Los Angeles basin it's a dark, very rainy, Pacific Northwestern sort of day. Kinda reminds me of Portland, Oregon. Fitting, because I just received my email notification from UPS that the "Prototype" upgrade rails for the JMP ( Bridge City Tool Works - JM-P Jointmaker Upgrade Kit ) are on it's way down here for my review and that I should have them in my hands by midweek.

Over the course of the rest of December ( the duration of the "loan" ) I’ll be documenting my review of the assembly process, the benefits in relation to the cost, and the engineering of the upgrade kit. I throw in my thoughts of how I feel it (the upgrade kit) would effect my work (and others) on the JMP either at home or in my shop. At home I’m starting to work on some jewelry size projects (when insomnia strikes and on the weekends) where as in the shop the projects tend to be larger in scale.

I'll be performing comparable tasks with the upgrade prototype on my JMP as well as on the original version. I'll be rigging up my JMP with a barnyard version of the Jointmaker SW. (long fixed table on the right side) with the new "prototype" rail on the left, and documenting & commenting on the whole affair.

There are some riggings that have been floating around in my head for working on larger works that the new rails would lend themselves to that I'll be experimenting on as well. I'll be starting with the more basic/common operations first and get to the more esoteric procedures further along in the review.

I'm thinking that the format of the review "this go around" will be in a more "real time" blog format in nature spread over three forums - talkFestool, FOG, and BCTW's. With my postings and comments from members interspersed together. So it will be interesting to see the respective feedbacks from each forum. Patience will be a virtue here, since my postings will more than likely be in the wee hours of the night. (west coast time)

Until the end of the week,
cheers,
Roger

For those new to the concept of Silent Woodworking and the Jointmaker Pro or have been marooned on some pacific island, go thru the postings on John's blog here on the JMP . . .
Bridge City Tools Behind the Scenes

PS. For those same folks, this whole review thing started with my first review on the JMP here, The Complete "Jointmaker Pro" Review..... A Paradigm Shift in Woodworking

with a followup here, (Wednesday, July 9th, 2008 posting) Jointmaker Pro Stationary Hand Saw | John's Blog - Part 2

Last edited by RogerSavatteri; 12-07-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Bridge City Toolworks "Jointmaker Pro Upgrade" Review . . .

I'm really looking forward to this, Roger!
Old 12-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Sounds like a fun review! I'll be in L.A. around Christmas if you need any help. I can bring a deer antler or two to experiment on.

EDIT: I read your review and saw that antler is a No-No.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959

Last edited by Wonderwino; 12-09-2009 at 03:06 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:18 AM

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the upgrade kit. I've been torn as to whether I want to do the upgrade or not. I'm just finding the price rather steep at the moment.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:53 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Jointmaker.........what's that?

Nice photo!
Old 12-08-2009, 03:14 PM

Location: 41°N 79°W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I'll be looking forward to your insight on the new upgrade as well as the use of the jointmaker.

Last edited by RONWEN; 12-08-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:09 PM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.

Wow! That photo reminds me of Joseph Raffael.
Joseph Raffael - Official Website

I sure could have used a JMP on some doors I am veneering. The client wanted the burl to go around the inner frame as well as the panels. I got by with what I have but the JMP would have made it more fun.
Thanks for the update Roger. We are lining up for 9 to 12 in. here in Omaha.
Matt
Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Founding Member

In case you missed it, here's Roger's review of the original Jointmaker Pro: The Complete "Jointmaker Pro" Review..... A Paradigm Shift in Woodworking.

I only wish that Roger had included more pics. Just joking. If he added any more photo's to the review, it would crash the server! Excellent review!!!

Dan.

Last edited by DanClark; 12-08-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: added content
Old 12-08-2009, 06:54 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrol View Post
Wow! That photo reminds me of Joseph Raffael.
Joseph Raffael - Official Website

I sure could have used a JMP on some doors I am veneering. The client wanted the burl to go around the inner frame as well as the panels. I got by with what I have but the JMP would have made it more fun.
Thanks for the update Roger. We are lining up for 9 to 12 in. here in Omaha.
Matt
Nice work!

Old 12-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

And it's a watercolor! Amazing!