talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

Default New Joint Maker Pro goodies from BCTW

John's blog yesterday read:

Quote:
Sometime tomorrow or Friday (Nov. 20th) we will update our website to accept pre-orders for the new JMP v2 and the new Jointmaker SW. In addition, we will also be able to take orders on upgrade kits (JMP to JMP v2) for existing JMP owners.
The rest of the entry talks a bit about the new sliding table, and the simpler version of the Jointmaker that will have only one sliding table.

Time to dust off the old credit card and get ready for Christmas tools!
Old 11-28-2009, 04:47 PM

Default Re: New Joint Maker Pro goodies from BCTW

Here's the new JM-SW Jointmaker......

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-28-2009, 05:20 PM

Roger,

Thanks for the new video... I'll be ordering the JMP V2 as soon as they update the website. I've been out of my shop for some time now and itching to get back.

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting that video, Roger. That's a sweet-looking machine!
Old 11-30-2009, 06:34 AM

Question to John from a posting earlier today on BCTW's forum.....
(Bridge City Tool Works Forum)

John,

Yesterday I was watching a friend's kid as the mom had a to make a visit to a hospital. As he is getting into woodworking (he goes to a kids workshop at a local woodworker once a month) we (he) came up with a project to make a candle holder. (That incorporates the JMP -naturally!)

After boring out out a hole on the drill press (I don't as of yet have the right size forstner bit to use the DJ-1) we went about cutting the wooden washers to insert the candles into what will eventually be mounted to blocks that will make up the candle holders.

This is actually his second time using the JMP (when he was at my home a few weeks ago, in a corner work area in a study where the JMP occasionally lives, he was cutting some slices of baltic birch) He got quite quickly the double crank - cut - cut - withdraw the blade -use the stop - set up the next cut dance. Upon observing him I couldn't help but think that in this scenario that having the option of having a fixed table top to catch the small parts as they leave the cut would be nice feature.

I know in this case I could have set up a fence that traverses both tables that would then catch the fall-offs (as in the first JMP video -back when) But in this case with this little guy and in other cases, let's say when doing mitering cuts where the second table would be not not so useful - having the option to switch out the up and coming bearing / table combo and putting in a fixed table that extends from front to back would be something I would order as an accessory.

The question then becomes - will the fixed table of the JMP "junior" be able to be rigged up to the JMP Pro. The whole switch out operation shouldn't take more than 5 minutes, because I assume that the table that's mounted to the bearing panel could be removed as one unit. And if the fixed tops don't interchange "could" one be made available as a preorder for the JMP pro?

More comments to follow......I'm just getting warmed up.

Roger

Old 11-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Well that's about as good a reason to get a JMP as any! I love the shot with the (unused) table saw in the background. Lucky kid. Hope he's saving up!

I like your idea about interchangeable sliding and stationary tables, Roger. Perhaps there's a way of just fixing the sliding table, rather than replacing it?
Old 11-30-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I like your idea about interchangeable sliding and stationary tables, Roger. Perhaps there's a way of just fixing the sliding table, rather than replacing it?
Peter,

There's no issue of holding the (let's say) right sliding table. What I would "probably" like is the ability to switch out the bearing/table combo to the fixed looooooooooong table with just changing out a few screws. (of course John & Mike might convince me otherwise) In the pictures above I set the table (with the stop) up where the wooden washers were falling off the blade, but I could see instances where having a long version would be beneficial. So I thought I'd put my two cents in now while things are still in flux up there in Portland.

Keep in mind that I don't want to "replace" the sliding table. I envision getting the upgrade kit with the two bearing panels - one of those bearing panels is the one I would at times perhaps want to switch out.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

I see what you mean, Roger. Perhaps there's some sort of insert that could be made, to extend the existing sliding table the full length of the JMP? It might save a bit of hassle in switching the two tables.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I see what you mean, Roger. Perhaps there's some sort of insert that could be made, to extend the existing sliding table the full length of the JMP? It might save a bit of hassle in switching the two tables.
That's a thought!

After the table is pushed up I could see some rare earth magnets set under the lip of the bottom of the moving table with an inverted lip on the insert, that would just then snap in place.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Won't work if it's aluminum. Though you could put some kind of magnetic material there to aid with the snapping together...

Maybe sliding dovetail keys? They're pretty cool, and very BCTW.