talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Bridge City Tool Works (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/bridge-city-tool-works/)
-   -   Palm brace and drill driver set from BCTW (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/bridge-city-tool-works/2656-palm-brace-drill-driver-set-bctw.html)

Poto 10-30-2009 03:32 PM

Palm brace and drill driver set from BCTW

Okay, so it's just the drill and driver set so far. Hopefully we'll see the black chroooome palm brace soon.

Here's the link to the drill and driver set. Bridge City Tool Works - Drill and Driver Kit - 62 Pc Drill and Driver Kit I spent a long time talking with John about this set when I was at the WIA show. Apparently he spent weeks traipsing around China, trying to find someone who could make a decent set of drill bits. He found one place that made the standard sizes (like 4 bits out of 20) out of HSS, but the rest were crappy metal painted to match the HSS. So he gave up, and found an American company would could make them all to his specs. Go John!

Given that quality, I'm imagining that this set is a much better value than something you'd get at any of the box stores, or perhaps even LV. They'll hold their edge better and generally be more durable.

Now bring on the Palm Brace! Black chrooooome!

RogerSavatteri 10-30-2009 03:55 PM

Re: Palm brace and drill driver set from BCTW

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poto (Post 37983)
Okay, so it's just the drill and driver set so far. Hopefully we'll see the black chroooome palm brace soon..........
........Now bring on the Palm Brace! Black chrooooome!

Michael's just baiting us.

MichaelKellough 10-30-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poto (Post 37983)
Okay, so it's just the drill and driver set so far. Hopefully we'll see the black chroooome palm brace soon.

Here's the link to the drill and driver set. Bridge City Tool Works - Drill and Driver Kit - 62 Pc Drill and Driver Kit I spent a long time talking with John about this set when I was at the WIA show. Apparently he spent weeks traipsing around China, trying to find someone who could make a decent set of drill bits. He found one place that made the standard sizes (like 4 bits out of 20) out of HSS, but the rest were crappy metal painted to match the HSS. So he gave up, and found an American company would could make them all to his specs. Go John!

Given that quality, I'm imagining that this set is a much better value than something you'd get at any of the box stores, or perhaps even LV. They'll hold their edge better and generally be more durable.

Now bring on the Palm Brace! Black chrooooome!

That's good news, but still a little disappointing considering that the superior Centrotec system already exists.
(We should mention Festool at least once a day don't you think?)

Poto 10-30-2009 05:51 PM

Well, the Black Chroooome Palm Brace just came up. Seems a steal at $279!

Bridge City Tool Works - CT-16 Palm Brace

(That's not including the drill bits and drivers...)

RogerSavatteri 10-30-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poto (Post 38006)
Well, the Black Chroooome Palm Brace just came up. Seems a steal at $279!

Bridge City Tool Works - CT-16 Palm Brace

(That's not including the drill bits and drivers...)

Individual sets are offered through a link near the bottom of the Brace page to individual sets if you wanted to add to the "works" or just order what you might need.......

"There are many bits available today that will fit in the CT-16 and we have selected 60 bit assortment, all made in America, that will address 99% of your needs within the capacity of this gorgeous tool. They are available as a complete set here(you save $30) or you can acquire those bit sets that suit your needs and budget."

The offering of the individual bit sets could be a little clearer then through that one little link.. (I already wrote Mike & John)

RONWEN 10-31-2009 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelKellough (Post 37995)
That's good news, but still a little disappointing considering that the superior Centrotec system already exists.
(We should mention Festool at least once a day don't you think?)

I told Mike (well, actually I asked) if it would chuck up the Euro style bit systems -- He said "You mean I have to design another chuck? I'm going home". It sort of creates a dilemma ...or NOT. :confused:

I really support "made in America" however when you are considering a premium drill bit system I'm afraid the Centrotec system is better but basically unusable unless you wanted to make up an adapter which starts to diminish the advantages.

MichaelKellough 10-31-2009 01:11 AM

Those bits should work at least as well as ordinary 1/4" hex shank bits. If BCT persuaded the manufacturer to tighten up the specs they should work even better, but they still won't be as good as Cetrotec bits. However, at the low low RPMs you're going to get with the hand cranked brace a little runnout won't matter.

RONWEN 10-31-2009 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelKellough (Post 38038)
Those bits should work at least as well as ordinary 1/4" hex shank bits. If BCT persuaded the manufacturer to tighten up the specs they should work even better, but they still won't be as good as Cetrotec bits. However, at the low low RPMs you're going to get with the hand cranked brace a little runnout won't matter.

That brings up an interesting question on drill point grinds. In metals there are various grind angles, relief angles, split points, thinned webs and special grinds for different metal applications. -- My experience with woods has been that my 59 degree (118 included) bit angles work fine but usually brad points work a little better. I wonder what grinds are on the BCT and Centrotec drill bits?

MichaelKellough 10-31-2009 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RONWEN (Post 38039)
That brings up an interesting question on drill point grinds. In metals there are various grind angles, relief angles, split points, thinned webs and special grinds for different metal applications. -- My experience with woods has been that my 59 degree (118 included) bit angles work fine but usually brad points work a little better. I wonder what grinds are on the BCT and Centrotec drill bits?

The photo at BCT can be enlarged enough that you can probably tell the grind angle if really interested.This too is not something that is likely to matter with a hand cranked tool. You're not going to drill metal with it, are you? If I were buying this stuff I'd only be interested in the brad point drill bits. It's very hard to find good quality brad points with a properly made hex shank.

RONWEN 10-31-2009 03:43 AM

It's hard to tell from the pictures but I think all of the twist drills are a standard (~118 deg.) grind. I think for a hand brace it seems the brad points would work better.
I wonder if the Centrotecs are available in brad point?