talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 04:55 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Palm brace and drill driver set from BCTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
It's hard to tell from the pictures but I think all of the twist drills are a standard (~118 deg.) grind. I think for a hand brace it seems the brad points would work better.
I wonder if the Centrotecs are available in brad point?
They are and they're just about perfect.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-31-2009, 05:02 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

See, that makes a BCT decision very difficult -- as I recall there is a Centrotec (big) set like the BCT set. If they have a good selection of brad points that tilts in Festools direction. As you say it's hard to find quality brad point grind drills. I don't think that I would be inclined to use an adapter (for euro shanks) in the BCT brace.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-31-2009, 07:22 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
See, that makes a BCT decision very difficult -- as I recall there is a Centrotec (big) set like the BCT set. If they have a good selection of brad points that tilts in Festools direction. As you say it's hard to find quality brad point grind drills. I don't think that I would be inclined to use an adapter (for euro shanks) in the BCT brace.
I don't mean to get all Bob on 'ya but even if you do get the brace you aren't really going to drill holes with it are you? Don't you have a cordless drill already, one that turns like 10 times the RPMs that you can crank the brace?

It's forte is as a screwdriver, and looking good next to the black chrooooome marking gauge.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Well, that just cuts to the essence of it, doesn't it, Michael? Does anyone really need a black chrooome (excellent pronunciation by the way) palm brace? Or a Marcou? Or a Lie-Nielsen for that matter? No. But if it makes you feel good, then you should get one. And if (as Ron mentioned earlier) it makes you strive to work to a higher level, then by all means.

As Sharon always says to me when I'm dithering over a tool, "Need/want. Need/want." At some point "need" is not the issue.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:23 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
I don't mean to get all Bob on 'ya but even if you do get the brace you aren't really going to drill holes with it are you? Don't you have a cordless drill already, one that turns like 10 times the RPMs that you can crank the brace?

It's forte is as a screwdriver, and looking good next to the black chrooooome marking gauge.
Don't apologise for being "Bob" -- That man has a large boat load of common sense, experience and wisdom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Well, that just cuts to the essence of it, doesn't it, Michael? Does anyone really need a black chrooome (excellent pronunciation by the way) palm brace? Or a Marcou? Or a Lie-Nielsen for that matter? No. But if it makes you feel good, then you should get one. And if (as Ron mentioned earlier) it makes you strive to work to a higher level, then by all means.

As Sharon always says to me when I'm dithering over a tool, "Need/want. Need/want." At some point "need" is not the issue.
I've decided that Veritas reaches my point of diminishing return for quality/cost ratio.

Excellent points from both of you (which I've come to expect ) & I'm convinced. I am after all (unlike some others) a tool USER not a collector. I was thinking about the practicality of the brace and there are many places (my uses) it just wouldn't swing or I would need a third hand to use it. With my wonderful Festools, I don't see myself evolving into a "no electricity" woodworker -- I do have electricity in my shop.
Because I like BCT tools so much I got caught up in trying to justify this beautiful tool -- I'm going to pass, they will have lots more tools that better fit my user "profile". Fred can order an extra one (mine) for in his glass cases.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I am after all (unlike some others) a tool USER not a collector. I was thinking about the practicality of the brace and there are many places (my uses) it just wouldn't swing or I would need a third hand to use it. With my wonderful Festools, I don't see myself evolving into a "no electricity" woodworker -- I do have electricity in my shop.
Because I like BCT tools so much I got caught up in trying to justify this beautiful tool -- I'm going to pass, they will have lots more tools that better fit my user "profile". Fred can order an extra one (mine) for in his glass cases.
The CD-16 appears to lack a ratchet chuck. Am I correct about that? From a user standpoint (--I regularly use a variety of braces and hand drills, mostly to drill but occasionally to turn stubborn screws--) I think that lack considerably diminishes its valued as a handtool. This says absolutely nothing, of course, about the sheer prettiness of the little BCTW brace. And we all know that sheer prettiness--the Gollum Factor--can take a tool an awfully long way!
Old 10-31-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlarm View Post
The CD-16 appears to lack a ratchet chuck. Am I correct about that? From a user standpoint (--I regularly use a variety of braces and hand drills, mostly to drill but occasionally to turn stubborn screws--) I think that lack considerably diminishes its valued as a handtool. This says absolutely nothing, of course, about the sheer prettiness of the little BCTW brace. And we all know that sheer prettiness--the Gollum Factor--can take a tool an awfully long way!
I didn't pick that up from the description, perhaps I was too dazzled by the black Chrooome?
Old 11-11-2009, 04:43 PM

Well, I keep going back and drooling over the new palm brace... but I am a tool user not a collector and as nice as this new tool is the price point is just too high for my purposes.
If it were designed to chuck up the precision Festool Centrotec (Euro) bits that would help swing me -- I seem to be more & more inclined toward developing skills with (non powered) hand tools and so the new brace appeals.

Mike -- Perhaps put me on the list for a "blem" if one comes along.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe Fred could conveniently drop his...
Old 11-12-2009, 01:33 AM

The drill bits are 135 split point. Brad points don't seem to work as quickly in end grain as the split point bits do.

The centrotec bits fit in the CT-16 chuck. They don't lock in because they put the groove in a different spot place when compared to any of non-festool standard bits available to us here in the US.

This is not a full size brace, like you see commonly. There is no ratchet on the chuck. It is direct drive....hmm maybe I could use that as a marketing term..."direct drive palm brace...." it has a ring to it.

Drill on.