talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: New palm brace from Bridge City Tools

I'm guessing 70+ years with Wheaties...

Also, developing replacement batteries is really fun!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:28 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

(BridgeCityMike)

Mike,
I just bought a "JH-1H Jointmaker's Hammer" (1995) on e-bay. It's a delightful little hammer, I'm curious where the "Jointmaker's" name came from? Because it's intended for tapping chisels?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

(BridgeCityMike)

Mike,
I just bought a "JH-1H Jointmaker's Hammer" (1995) on e-bay. It's a delightful little hammer, I'm curious where the "Jointmaker's" name came from? Because it's intended for tapping chisels?
I think BCTW needs to have Fred set up a forum for them in the manufacturer's section, then all questions asked here will automatically be forwarded to them by email.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:47 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
I think BCTW needs to have Fred set up a forum for them in the manufacturer's section, then all questions asked here will automatically be forwarded to them by email.
Or, I could just e-mail them -- I just figured since Mike was handy...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:55 PM

"Mike,
I just bought a "JH-1H Jointmaker's Hammer" (1995) on e-bay. It's a delightful little hammer, I'm curious where the "Jointmaker's" name came from? Because it's intended for tapping chisels? "

This is straight from the horse's mouth, " I don't know, I'm too old to remember."

I believe the reasoning behind those hammers was to provide a bit, not too much, of umph behind the chisel when making dovetails, mortises, etc... Hence the name. There are a lot of hammers that are a bit too big for most furniture making techniques.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

Or, I could just e-mail them -- I just figured since Mike was handy...
Ron, that would lose the benefit of asking questions in the forum where everyone gets to see the answer. Our reason for establishing the manufacturer's section was to improve communications between our members and the companies they regularly deal with (or would like to). It's a win/win.

We'd like them all to hang around here as much as some of us do, but that's not always practical. Automatic alerts allow them to know what's happening here when time is too short to check in often enough.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgeCityMike View Post
"Mike,
I just bought a "JH-1H Jointmaker's Hammer" (1995) on e-bay. It's a delightful little hammer, I'm curious where the "Jointmaker's" name came from? Because it's intended for tapping chisels? "

This is straight from the horse's mouth, " I don't know, I'm too old to remember."

I believe the reasoning behind those hammers was to provide a bit, not too much, of umph behind the chisel when making dovetails, mortises, etc... Hence the name. There are a lot of hammers that are a bit too big for most furniture making techniques.
Mike,
Please tell "the horse" that it's a wonderful little hammer & he might consider another run. The one I bought was brand new, never used.
Thanks.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:18 AM

(Back on topic)

I wonder if the new palm brace will chuck up the Festool (Euro-style) hex shanks?
Old 10-21-2009, 02:41 AM

...ugh...don't tell me I have to make a "metric" 1/4" hex shank chuck.....

I'm going home.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:53 AM

I'm afraid I didn't get a chance to try the brace but it sure caught my eye. I had been wanting to see some of this black chrome John E. had mentioned and I have say it was some pretty special looking stuff.

John has a way of combining the right functional elements to the right finishes for his tool. This brace would have been a nice tool in either regular chrome or several other finishes, however with the black chrome it's quite unique and visually compeling.

Ron