talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 01:23 PM

Default The "X-Y" Blue Rover (A Linear 2 Axis Jig for Bridge City's -DJ-1)

The "X-Y" Blue Rover (A Linear 2 Axis Jig for Bridge City's -DJ-1)

The "X-Y" Blue Rover (A Linear 2 Axis DJ-1 Jig) combines both the Festool Rail & Rail guide (from the 2200 Router set) with Bridge City Tools -DJ-1 to perform Drill Press precision operations on the X & Y axis of a large sheet of material (plywood, plexiglass, sheet metal, etc.) with both drill bits and forstner bits. By using the Festool Rail system with clamps (or the Parallel Guide set-not shown) one could measure and drill accurately parallel to the edge of a work or across a diagonal.
The "X-Y" Blue Rover (A Linear 2 Axis DJ-1 Jig) also has a optional plexiglass ruler guides that can be attached to it to assure reliable measurement & repeatable operations.

Photos and explanations can be seen over at the BCTW forum,

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/discu....php?p=460#460 . . . (link now working)

cheers,
Roger

Last edited by RogerSavatteri; 09-15-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-15-2009, 02:27 PM

Default Re: The "X-Y" Blue Rover (A Linear 2 Axis Jig for Bridge City's -DJ-1)

Pretty cool Roger... I was thinking of something similar with my micro jig that goes on the Festool rail.

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Founding Member

Great idea and beautifully made, Roger.

Rather than tape the rule to the work, how about attaching the rule to the rail using the upward facing slot? The short rule currently on the body would need to be moved to the back of the Edge Guide. A slot-attached rule could be very easily adjusted.

Ned
Old 09-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Amazing piece of work, Roger. I love the finish you've used - and you can see in that one picture how the profile of your Blue Rover matches the Joint Maker Pro in the background. On purpose?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:32 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

That link doesn't work for me so here's a photo

There are more pictures and captions here if the above link doesn't work.

That is a beautifully made thing Roger.

Last edited by MichaelKellough; 09-15-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:41 PM

Slightly

Quick Peter!

How many BC Tools are in this picture?

By name.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

I got the CS-2, DSS-2, SS-2, DJ-1, though it's possible I missed some... (and that's without checking the BCT web site!).

Do I have a problem?
Old 09-15-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I got the CS-2, DSS-2, SS-2, DJ-1, though it's possible I missed some... (and that's without checking the BCT web site!).

Do I have a problem?
Very good! But I wanted the names (not numbers) for us wannabes.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Oh - the names are easier:
CenterScribe (CS-2)
Double Saddle Square (my fave) (DSS-2)
Drilling Jig (DJ-1)
Saddle Square (SS-2x4) (black aluminum)

I think that the only ones you can currently buy are the DSS-2 and the CS-2, but they're both probably getting in short supply.

I use both of them a lot!

(I don't use the others because I don't have them).
Old 09-15-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedYoung View Post

Rather than tape the rule to the work, how about attaching the rule to the rail using the upward facing slot? The short rule currently on the body would need to be moved to the back of the Edge Guide. A slot-attached rule could be very easily adjusted.
Ned
Ned,
I actually gave that some thought and tried it. I found that having it on the work and then moving The Blue Rover with it's embedded 6 inch rule center over center or center over some digit on the taped down rule was easier to adjust. Now if your riding right along the rail then yes the short rule could be embedded on the other side. (which there is a slot) and matched up there. Also, one could place a longer rule where I taped it down and clamp it on either side. The situations are fluid, sometimes a couple of pieces of painters tape is the easiest solution, not the sexiest though.

thanks for your feedback,
Roger