talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Bridge City Tool Works (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/bridge-city-tool-works/)
-   -   Bridge City's KM-1 and the TS55/TS75,,,,,, (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/bridge-city-tool-works/2198-bridge-citys-km-1-ts55-ts75.html)

RogerSavatteri 07-16-2009 08:12 PM

Bridge City's KM-1 and the TS55/TS75,,,,,,

I recently exchanged and email with someone here and the discussion of the KM-1 and it's application with the TS55/ TS75 came up. It's obvious application comes up with table saws, bandsaws, and all things with a stationary spinning blade (or JMP). The use with the TS series peeked my curiosity, so I wrote Michael over at BCTW,,,,, I thought I'd share it,,,,,,,here is his reply,,,,,,

"In order to use the KM1 with ts55, one would have to reference off the guide rail/fence that the ts55 rides in. You would clamp a stop block onto your table, butt the KM1 against that, then butt the guide fence to that. Two km1 would probably make more sense, one at each end of the fence.
Actually, doing that in reverse order would probably make it easier and with less transcribing of measurements. So, you would set the saw and fence to where you need it, clamp it down. Then butt the KM-1 to the fence, then clamp a stop block next to the KM-1."

cheers,
,,,,,,r

RONWEN 07-16-2009 08:41 PM

Re: Bridge City's KM-1 and the TS55/TS75,,,,,,

That should work especially well when using the guide rail & LR32 guide plate for routing shelf mortises, etc with a 1/2" diameter or smaller cutter.

Poto 07-16-2009 09:18 PM

It's possible that the Qwas Dogs would be perfect as stops, though the round edge might make them a little shaky. I'd guess that the KerfMaker could replace my set up blocks that I use in combination with the Qwas Dogs to get repeatable cuts on the MFT...

RogerSavatteri 07-16-2009 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poto (Post 27984)
It's possible that the Qwas Dogs would be perfect as stops, though the round edge might make them a little shaky. I'd guess that the KerfMaker could replace my set up blocks that I use in combination with the Qwas Dogs to get repeatable cuts on the MFT...

Peter,,,,

What if you place an aluminum rectangle stock against the Quas Dogs and "Kerfsure" (measure) off of that. I'm thinking of a 1 by two inch aluminum rectangle hollow stock.
I use them all the time for both gluing and using as a straight edge.

these folks carry it.. Industrial Metal Supply Co. - San Diego
See picture below....

,,,,,r

Poto 07-17-2009 03:15 AM

That's a good thought, Roger. IMS is just a few miles from me, and I love going there. Really nice people!

RogerSavatteri 07-17-2009 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poto (Post 28012)
That's a good thought, Roger. IMS is just a few miles from me, and I love going there. Really nice people!

Peter,

While you are there,,,,,,,,,

my suggestion is to get at least two of the same lengths,,,, for future use as clamping cauls.

Perhaps somewhere between 8.5 to 10 feet whatever your more comfortable with. I believe they are sold in 20 foot lengths. First cut is free.

I love their location in Burbank, the first time I went there years back I felt I was Hans Solo getting parts for the Millennium Falcon.

,,,,,,,r

Poto 07-17-2009 04:33 PM

Another great thought, Roger! I could also drill them with holes to use my Veritas panel clamps. Do you cover them with tape or anything to stop them from staining the wood?

RogerSavatteri 07-17-2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poto (Post 28036)
Another great thought, Roger! I could also drill them with holes to use my Veritas panel clamps. Do you cover them with tape or anything to stop them from staining the wood?

I never had that issue. I do wax them up before I do a glue up.
Another thought is to use this stuff...... Lee Valley Tools - Important Announcement and carefully streach it from end to end with one side (your face side) being streached smooth.

,,,,,r

Poto 07-17-2009 06:40 PM

I just use packing tape. Nothing sticks to it, and it's easy to get smooth - even on the Pony clamps. Cheap too...