talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 10:22 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default Re: New Mystery Tool from Bridge City

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
I'm glad John mentioned buying a photograph in an art gallery. The BC Tools business model most closely resembles an artist selling a limited edition of prints. There are only going to be so many. If you miss out you just have to wait and see what comes next.
With the significant differences being the artist is left with (worst case) a few spent brushes and leftover paints. In manufacturing tools BCT is left with unamortized engineering, R&D and production tooling costs if it's a single limited edition tool. As John describes BCT is still sitting under all of those costs for the Jointmaker Pro alone.
Logically the "limited edition" tools should include as many production runs as required to cover the costs and provide profits.
As a new woodworker, now that I've had time to absorb the unique functional value of the Jointmaker Pro I would probably sign up for one, especially if I could ease the pain with a pre-order installment(s).

Last edited by RONWEN; 07-02-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-02-2009, 03:42 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
With the significant differences being the artist is left with a few spent brushes and leftover paints. In manufacturing tools BCT is left with unamortized engineering, R&D and production tooling costs if it's a single limited edition tool. As John describes BCT is still sitting under all of those costs for the Jointmaker Pro alone.
Logically the "limited edition" tools should include as many production runs as required to cover the costs and provide profits.
As a new woodworker, now that I've had time to absorb the unique functional value of the Jointmaker Pro I would sign up for one, especially if I could painlessly do it with pre-production installment(s).
Ron,

There is no such thing as painless installments but it would make it easier. If you really do like painless installments you may start sending me a mere $1000 a week and by the end of a painless year I will be able to part with one of my Harold & Saxon chisels. Not the set, just a chisel. Don't get greedy. As you know these chisels are truly incredible so this will be a bargain for you.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-02-2009, 04:17 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post
Ron,

There is no such thing as painless installments but it would make it easier. If you really do like painless installments you may start sending me a mere $1000 a week and by the end of a painless year I will be able to part with one of my Harold & Saxon chisels. Not the set, just a chisel. Don't get greedy. As you know these chisels are truly incredible so this will be a bargain for you.

Fred
Sounds like a deal to me...although I just took a load of meds & they have kicked in --- maybe I better sleep on it.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:28 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
Sounds like a deal to me...although I just took a load of meds & they have kicked in --- maybe I better sleep on it.
Ron,

Tomorrow we may start the new painless installment. Prior to going to bed I will merely deduct the appropriate amount and let you sleep sondly knowing that it is all painless.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 07-02-2009, 04:00 PM

Hey folks,
Michael here to answer any more of questions about BCTW and our products. Our business model can indeed be frustrating for some people. I know it sucks that a lot of the products that we have made in the past are not available. To sum things up in one sentence: after events in the fall of 2001, John found it frustrating (among other words) to be left with a large, (I mean very large!), stash of inventory in his lap with nobody buying anything. Sales crumbled, cash flow stopped, and in some ways we are still recovering from its effects. Hence, this wacky business model that we are still refining. Lean, if any, inventory levels, and made to order products is the modus operandi at the moment.

So here is how it works: if you are interested in any of our products, let us know! The best way to do this is through our website on the web page of each product. Hit the misleading "Notify me when this item is back in stock." (We are working on the website to correct some of these elements.) Names will accumulate, and we will notice. Once there is a good chunk of names, we can pursue manufacturing.

This pertains to the Jointmaker Pro too. The list has already started, no money or deposit is required to put your name on the list.
Let me know if you have any questions!
Michael
Old 07-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Michael - thanks for joining the forum, and welcome! It's great to hear another voice from one of our favorite tool companies. Are you one of those employees who was trying to get John to put the Beastie Boys sound track on the KerfMaker video? Gotta go with John on that one...

Thanks for the notification that you're actually accumulating the "Notify me when this item is back in stock" names. You might publicize it more widely, as I think there are lots of people who just don't bother. I'm astounded at the prices some people pay on ebay for things like the Flushing Chisel...

Any hints on next month's BCT Essential?
Old 07-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgeCityMike View Post
Hey folks,
Michael here to answer any more of questions about BCTW and our products. Our business model can indeed be frustrating for some people. I know it sucks that a lot of the products that we have made in the past are not available. To sum things up in one sentence: after events in the fall of 2001, John found it frustrating (among other words) to be left with a large, (I mean very large!), stash of inventory in his lap with nobody buying anything. Sales crumbled, cash flow stopped, and in some ways we are still recovering from its effects. Hence, this wacky business model that we are still refining. Lean, if any, inventory levels, and made to order products is the modus operandi at the moment.

So here is how it works: if you are interested in any of our products, let us know! The best way to do this is through our website on the web page of each product. Hit the misleading "Notify me when this item is back in stock." (We are working on the website to correct some of these elements.) Names will accumulate, and we will notice. Once there is a good chunk of names, we can pursue manufacturing.

This pertains to the Jointmaker Pro too. The list has already started, no money or deposit is required to put your name on the list.
Let me know if you have any questions!
Michael
Michael,

I would like to add my voice in thanking you for further clarification. I think from the perception of many members on this board it is very hard to believe that John had such high inventory because of no one purchasing his products. However, he has made a good point about this board and that is we may or may not have a lot of excess cash but we all appreciate and would rather save for high end, high quality tools.

Personally, I sometimes see some of the prices as being extremely high. However, the workmanship, functionality and beauty easily justify the price, once you actually pick one up and use it. Again, this is strictly my opinion and I too run into pieces that you all make that I just cannot justify buying. My opinion is also based upon usage and not collection. I do not have a tool that has not seen use. That is not to say they are all used extensively but they are all used. The collection portion of woodworking tools is beyond my ken but that is okay. If someone else wants to purchase from BCTW, Lie-Nielsen or whomever to put on their shelf more power to them. I just do not understand it.

Anyway, very long winded to basically thank you for your post and for the wonderful tools that you all build.

Fred
Old 07-02-2009, 06:03 PM

Ok, now about the music on the KM-1 video:
It was not a Beastie Boys song per se that I was pushing. John would not know a BB song if he heard one blaring through his Bose noise canceling headphones cranked up to 11. I mentioned that the song I had produced had some qualities of the Beastie Boys' Money Mark.
Anyway, I composed all of the other music for the videos, so I believe I have a decent track record!
Have a good long weekend everyone! I gotta get outta dodge!

Oh, if anyone is on Twitter, you can check out my musings and ramblings on Bridge City's Twitter page at user name BridgeCityTools. John has his blog, I have Twitter.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Mike - sounds like you're a multi-talented bunch there at BCT.

Have a great weekend!
Old 07-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Thanks Mike - sounds like you're a multi-talented bunch there at BCT.

Have a great weekend!
Mike,

Just so you know we are also a multi-talented bunch here it is just some of us/me do not know what how are talented. I believe that my talent mostly lies.

Fred